Event will honor student efforts

Adam Edelman

Celebrate an awards banquet hosted by the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, will celebrate a year of accomplishments for ISU students with traditional dancing, awards and food.

The event will take place on Tuesday at the ISU Storm/Knapp dinning complex from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

“Instead of making it a long, drawn out event, we’re trying to make it more of a fun event with performances and music, making it more of a celebration than an awards ceremony,” said John Gardner, graduate assistant in educational leadership and policy studies.

Celebrations! is not only an event for students involved with Multicultural Student Affairs. All are welcome to join in celebrating the hard work of the students who are being recognized, as well as taking part in the food and festivities.

“It’s just going to be a wonderful time – everyone is invited,” Gardner said. “We hope anyone who has the opportunity to come will come.”

The awards will honor a wide variety of groups, students and leaders who have made a mark on Iowa State.

“There is an academic component, recognizing students who have done well this year, and graduates as well,” Gardner said.

Some awards will feature students who have demonstrated exceptional leadership skills.

“There is also a component to recognize student leaders and outstanding students at Iowa State.”

David Romero, graduate assistant in human sciences student services, will be performing traditional Latin dances with the Organization of Latino Students.

“We are going to perform dances from different Latin American countries,” Romero said.

The Organization of Latino Students will perform dances from the Dominican Republic, Colombia and Puerto Rico.

“Through the dances that people see, they will realize how diverse the Latino culture is within itself, and how much you can learn from those differences,” Romero said.

“We try to educate people about the cultures of Latin America and teach them about the European indigenous and African ancestry that we share as Latinos, and it is reflected in those dances that we have.”