Intramural bragging rights

Tj Rushing

This year’s state bragging rights for the men’s and women’s division of the Iowa 3-Point Championships belong to Iowa State.

Darrell Wiese, sophomore in horticulture, and LeAnn Ketelsen, sophomore in communications both won the ISU intramural 3-point competition, and both went on to win the state competitions at Drake.

Going into Iowa State’s competition, Ketelsen had been to the big time before. She beat out the field last year and competed in the state competition in Iowa City, where she placed third. Wiese, on the other hand, took a shot last year at the Iowa State intramural, and came up short. This year it took him a couple overtime rounds to grab the ISU crown.

“It was supposed to be just one round, but there was a tie between me and two other people. Then there was another tie between me and one other guy,” Wiese said. “I was much more nervous shooting during the tie-breakers because I was so close to victory.”

Unlike Wiese, who played only two years of high school basketball before his career was cut short because of back problems, Ketelsen came into Iowa State’s competition with a little more experience under her belt.

“I played four years of varsity in Minnesota,” Ketelsen said. “I am also playing in this years intramural championship on my team Farm Hard Breed Easy, and last year I played in the intramural championship too.”

For Ketelsen, the state competition was held during halftime of the Drake vs. Evansville women’s game on Feb. 18. Wiese competed at halftime of the Drake vs. Wisconsin-Milwaukee game on Feb. 17. Both competed against intramural winners from Iowa, UNI and Drake.

The women’s event was just like the NBA’s 3-point competition, five racks of balls and five balls in each rack with the last ball of each rack the money ball, worth two points. The men had to compete for time with other halftime events, so instead of five racks they shot four.

Even the cool veteran Ketelsen admitted she was nervous shooting in front of the crowd.

“Oh yeah I was nervous,” Ketelsen said. “They had a good turnout, a lot more people were there than I expected for a Drake game. The student’s were booing me a little, but nothing I couldn’t handle. When I went on a little run the rest of the fans started cheering for me though, so that was nice.”

Wiese was also heckled by the student section, but to no avail.

“Yeah, the student section at Drake did nothing but yell at me. They were saying my shoes were ugly, and my toes were on the line and stuff, but I still won,” Wiese said.

For their efforts at the state competition Ketelsesn and Wiese received bobblehead dolls that have basketballs for heads, Nike basketballs and Drake intramural champion T-shirts.

“In the past winners were receiving engraved clocks when they won,” Drake intramural coordinator Erik Jaecke said. “We thought the bobble head dolls were cool but pretty goofy at the same time though, so we switched it up.”

The event had traditionally been held by the University of Iowa, but this year they decided to pass the torch.

“U of I has hosted it in the past, but this year they decided they wanted us to host it,” Jaecke said. “Now we’re going to try and make it a moving event from university to university.”

Ketelsen hopes the competition will be in Ames next year so a certain coach can see her shoot.

“Tell the women’s basketball coach Bill Fennelly he needs to contact me and he can get another 3-point shooter on the team,” Ketelsen said.