Blood drive kicks off amid negative media attention

Josh Hillman

Spring Blood Drive greek recruitment committee member Kaydee Pivec woke up to a surprise Monday morning – radio coverage of the Blood Drive.

However, that coverage wasn’t of the drive itself, but instead Greek Week Central’s decision to no longer offer Greek Week points to pairings who participate.

Pivec, sophomore in pre-advertising and member of Chi Omega sorority, was stunned.

“It was like, is this really happening?” Pivec said.

“Are people really that affected by points?”

Pivec then went to work at the Blood Drive – she began at 8 a.m. – and later said although numbers were down, appearances weren’t that bleak.

“I’ve seen greek after greek come in here, proud, wearing their letters,” Pivec said.

“People are proud to be greek. It’s just a shame it had to happen this way.”

Without the incentives for greeks, Pete Arentson, Blood Drive co-director and sophomore in pre-business, has estimated the drive will lose 400 to 500 productive units of blood, a number based on the fall 2005 Blood Drive.

Still, greeks and nongreeks alike showed up to both volunteer and donate.

Heath Sheeder, sophomore in finance and member of Delta Upsilon fraternity, said he decided to donate because it was good for the community.

“I think it’s a good cause, no matter if it’s for Greek Week or just to donate blood,” Sheeder said.

Aimee Haugan, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication and member of Delta Zeta sorority, came to volunteer – she can’t give blood since she sells plasma.

“It’s basically my only source of income,” Haugan said.

She urges people to give whatever they can.

“Go donate blood,” she said. “And if you can’t donate your blood, donate time. It’s a worthy cause whether you’re greek or not.”

The Blood Drive continues through Friday. It will take place 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.