Speaker cites ‘loss of community’

Karla Walsh

Americans will be happier if they return to the 1950s lifestyle of eating together as a family, talking with neighbors and car pooling to work, said environmental author and activist Bill McKibben in a speech Sunday night.

McKibben noted that loss of community leads to “hyperindividualism” and global warming, which are only two of the multiple harms Americans have created for themselves.

McKibben spoke to a full crowd, including a mix of community members and students, in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

His speech was the keynote address for the Third Annual Symposium on Wildness, Wilderness and the Creative Imagination. His next book, “Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future” comes out in March.

As Americans, we need to “make this a place that works better for the people and for the people who will be here long after we are gone,” McKibben said.

McKibben, a self-admitted hippie, said he feels Americans’ actions are not only harming the Earth now, but that these actions will have long-lasting effects. He promoted a change in lifestyle, including buying more local products and being less materialistic.

“He’s one of the premiere environmental writers in the country,” said Debra Marquart, associate professor of English and faculty member of the creative writing program, which organized the conference.

“His work cuts across so many disciplines, so he’s of interest to many people across campus,” Marquart said.

Excess is a common problem among Americans, McKibben said. Individuals are hard-wired to always search for more.

McKibben compared Americans’ constant want for more money and goods to college students who are finally able to drink; if three beers feel good, 13 will feel even better. But this lifestyle is not always gratifying, he said.

“Is our extra prosperity making us happier? Do we lead more satisfying lives?” McKibben asked the audience.

He then noted a study that found as Americans have tripled their standard of living since 1956, life satisfaction levels have been decreasing and depression levels have been on the rise.

McKibben went on to explain that Americans “weren’t built for this type of isolation” and need to rely more on their community members for goods and services. He suggested buying goods at farmers markets and using mass transportation.

“We need to analyze consumption habits and cut back where we can,” said Des Moines resident Ed Fallon after McKibben’s speech. “We need to act now. Action needs to be personal and political.”

McKibben and fellow Vermont residents have launched the “Step It Up 2007” campaign as a “National Day of Climate Action” on April 14. This movement encourages communities across the United States to hold gatherings to persuade Congress to pass bills that force Americans to reduce carbon emissions by 80 percent by the year 2050.

So far, 686 demonstrations are in the planning stages for this date, making it the largest demonstration about global warming to date. Julia Olmstead, graduate student in agronomy, is planning the Ames gathering. Anybody wishing to help can contact her at [email protected].

The English symposium, “Home Ground: Language for an American Landscape,” continues through Tuesday afternoon. Community members and students are welcome to all events. A schedule can be found at www.las.iastate.edu/newnews/wildness07.shtml.