Working for equal representation

Julie Young

As graduation dates draw near, many students at Iowa State strive for acceptance into a graduate program. Often, focus and drive become so intense that a student is consumed by the desire for individual success.

Not so for Jacqueline Pryor, graduate student in education leadership and policy studies, who works with the McNair Program to help underrepresented students achieve their dreams of graduate school.

“[The McNair Program] is not a ‘minority program,’ but helps students to prepare and focus on getting into grad school,” Pryor said. “Our primary goal is to get underrepresented students to go on and [eventually] increase underrepresented faculty members, making positive role models.”

Pryor is the program assistant for the Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program at Iowa State, which she balances with her role as an officer for the Black Graduate Student Association and writing a dissertation.

This nationwide program was inspired by the life of Challenger astronaut Ronald McNair, a black man who rose from humble beginnings to receive both his bachelor’s degree and a Ph. D in physics.

“Statistically, [McNair] wasn’t supposed to make these achievements, but he did, which says a lot about intrinsically making up your mind that you are going to succeed,” Pryor said.

The program is designed to “encourage minority, low-income and first-generation college students to expand their educational opportunities and pursue graduate studies,” according to the program’s Web site.

“Our program is set up in a series of classes, where students are introduced step by step how to identify potential grad schools, meet key personnel and know what to study when they reach this point,” Pryor said.

Another aspect of the McNair Program is introducing students to writing research proposals, with the ultimate goal of publication before graduate school. Students are given an opportunity to do either a poster or oral presentation of research proposals at national McNair conventions.

“[The conventions] also are a great place to start getting name recognition and meet other McNair students across the country,” Pryor said.

Pryor also spoke of her own experience as an underrepresented student.

“As a black woman from the south, I fit into the category of underrepresented students, but the question is: Do you use these things as a hindrance or use them as motivation?” Pryor said.

Students in the McNair Program spoke of Pryor’s dedication and desire for their success.

“I think Jacquie does a great job with the program and is a great motivator to see the possibilities beyond undergraduate school,” said Asale Hubbard, junior in psychology. Hubbard is a 2006 Cohort member of the McNair Program.

“She’s [a] very dedicated and passionate person,” Hubbard said.

Ozioma Oji, junior in psychology, is also a 2006 Cohort member of the McNair program.

“I think [Jacquie] really motivates students to get things done and get on the right track,” Oji said. “She’s always there to help with projects or anything you need.”

Application deadlines for the McNair Program are Feb. 27, with new applicants reviewed and admitted for the following fall. Students can pick up paper application forms in 1156 Pearson Hall or check out the McNair Program Web site at www.grad-college.iastate.edu/mcnair/ for more information.