College of Business offers degrees of opportunities

Julie Young

As the third-largest college at Iowa State, the College of Business is the area of choice for many ISU students.

Once students decide to major in a business field, however, many questions still remain regarding what can be done to succeed in this highly competitive field.

“I just transferred into Iowa State and decided to try marketing and see if I liked it,” said Rachel Valley, sophomore in marketing.

Fortunately, Iowa State offers many academic advisers, professors and lecturers to help in navigating this growing field.

“My adviser has been really helpful in getting me all the classes I need and making my four-year plan,” Valley said. “If I couldn’t get into [required] classes, they worked things out.”

In the College of Business, students can pursue a degree in accounting, finance, logistics and supply chain management, management, management information systems, marketing or operations and supply chain management.

“A business degree from ISU will open many doors, as the business’ arena is quite diverse and far-reaching,” said Curt Hoff, lecturer of finance.

Hoff explained that although he lectures in finance, his primary job is a bank officer near Ames.

“Every business culture is different, even among the same industry,” Hoff said. “It is important that you enjoy the career you embark on, so I recommend you do your homework and really understand the specific culture of the employer you are about to be a part of.”

An important step in understanding the culture of a business environment is an internship, which is strongly encouraged by advisers in the College of Business.

“I haven’t had an internship yet, but I’m going to look for one next year,” said Lucas Denner, sophomore in finance.

Both Denner and Valley said they plan to attend next year’s Business/LAS Career Fair to search for potential internships.

Students can locate advice on applying for jobs or internships, tips about the interviewing process and a comprehensive list of previous internships at www.bus.iastate.edu/Careers/students/Intern/default.asp.

“Your degree from the school of business at Iowa State will provide you with a solid foundation, but it is up to you to put that degree to work. Your education will not end upon graduation,” Hoff said.

Hoff recommends that students take advantage of every learning opportunity and to leverage verbal and written communication skills to succeed in the business.

The College of Business was established in 1984 and had a fall 2004 enrollment of 3,867, according to the ISU College of Business Web site.

For more information on the College of Business, students can check out www.bus.iastate.edu.