Iowa State locks up No. 2 spot in Big 12 after defeating Kansas 69-49

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State freshman guard Ashley Joens is blocked while going for a basket by Oklahoma State sophomore forward Vivian Gray during the second half of the Iowa State vs Oklahoma State women’s basketball game held Feb. 16 in Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones defeated the Cowgirls 89-67.

Jack Shover

The Cyclones weren’t at their best on Senior Night, but No. 19 Iowa State clinched the No. 2 spot in the Big 12 behind huge performances from senior Bridget Carleton and junior Kristin Scott to down Kansas 69-49. It was the final home game for the senior class of Carleton, Alexa Middleton and Meredith Burkhall. 

Carleton and Scott both had double-doubles despite a poor shooting night from the Cyclones. With the win Monday, the Cyclones set themselves up for great seeding not only during the Big 12 Tournament, but also for the NCAA Tournament.

Carleton had 20 points and 11 rebounds while Scott had 12 points and 14 rebounds. Scott’s 14 rebounds were a career-high.

Cyclones win despite poor shooting

The Cyclones were cold for most of the game Monday. Iowa State shot 39.7 percent from the floor and 21.1 percent from three.

Iowa State was able to build its lead in the game by forcing 18 Kansas turnovers. Those turnovers led directly to 20 of the Cyclones’ 69 points. 

In Iowa State’s last four games, the Cyclones have failed to reach 40 percent shooting. More troubling is that, in their last eight games, the team has eclipsed a 35 percent shooting percentage from three only once.

That game was against Texas Saturday, where Iowa State shot 35.3 percent from three.

The Cyclones are heavily reliant on the 3-point shot and have taken the ninth most threes in Division I basketball this season.

Seeding implications

By beating Kansas, Iowa State clinched the No. 2 spot in the Big 12 with a conference record of 13-5. The No. 2 spot has implications beyond the regular season standings, as the Cyclones now hold the No. 2 seed for the Big 12 Tournament.

The tournament runs March 8-11 and provides the Cyclones another slate of games to improve their resume for the NCAA Tournament.

In the Big 12 tournament, Iowa State will have a first round shot before facing off against the winner of the No. 7 vs No. 10 game.

The game will feature Oklahoma State or Oklahoma as the 7 seed and Kansas as the 10 seed.

After the Big 12 tournament, Iowa State figures to be slated in as a No. 4 seed according to ESPN’s Charlie Creme.

As a 4 seed, Iowa State would host its first opening games in Ames at Hilton Coliseum.

Iowa State owns one of the best home court advantages in the country. This season the Cyclones are 16-2 at home with their only losses coming from No. 1 Baylor and No. 21 Texas.

To earn that 4 seed, the Cyclones will have to avoid being knocked out early in the conference tournament, but a strong showing would further strengthen the team’s seeding.