Senior class can cast votes, donate online

Pat Shaver

Students with 91 credits or more have the opportunity to leave something special on campus before they go on to bigger and better things.

“The senior class gift is a way for those graduating to leave a mark at Iowa State,” said Jaclyn Doolittle, senior class gift co-chair and junior in health and human performance. “It is a way to give back to the university and leave a lasting mark.”

The Senior Class Council narrowed about eight gift ideas down to three. The final ideas to be voted on are: new furniture in the West Lounge of the Memorial Union, funding toward a concert-quality sound system in the Great Hall of the Union and furnishing, equipment and art for the Multicultural Center to be located on the second floor of the Union.

One senior class gift from the past is the Fountain of the Four Seasons outside the Memorial Union.

In past years, students had to vote for the gift through Government of the Student Body elections. This year they hope to reach more students through easier voting and donating, Doolittle said.

Voting for the senior class gift will be available Feb. 13 through Feb. 16 on AccessPlus.

Once the voting is completed, the ISU Foundation will begin calling graduating seniors, asking for pledges.

This is the first year that students will be able to make donations using their U-Bill, said Valerie Morrison, senior class gift co-chair and senior in communication studies. Students can also donate using their credit card.

“There are going to be different monetary levels for donations,” Doolittle said. “It is not taking a huge chunk out of what they already don’t have.”

They are hoping to raise between $25,000 to $30,000 for the estimated cost of the gift.

If that goal isn’t met, they are still going to stick to the chosen gift.

“We’re just going to hope for the best and contribute what we can,” Morrison said.

After the voting is closed on Feb. 16, Morrison and Doolittle hope to announce the chosen gift early the following week.