Veishea organizes community service day

Thomas Grundmeier

ISU students who want to do a little more than just party this upcoming Veishea can give back to their community and take part in the very first Veishea Service Day.

“Everyone gives so much [to Veishea], and Veishea just wants to give something back,” said Shallee Keenan, Veishea campus and community involvement co-chairwoman and senior in sociology.

This year, more than 25 events are planned as community service projects to take place on March 31. Keenan is hoping for more than 800 volunteers across the many projects.

People can choose to work half days or full days. Keenan said she expects volunteers to put in anywhere from one to seven hours of work.

“They can choose the project that will fit their schedule,” Keenan said. “It’s not just students that can do this – faculty, staff and families can sign up, too.”

The “One Community” mission is a part of the Veishea 2007 goal to unite students and Ames residents, and has been in past Veisheas.

“We’re really wanting to give back to the One Community mission,” said Jenna Thompson, campus and community involvement co-chairwoman and junior in architecture.

There is a free barbecue planned for all volunteers, and a free admission to Reiman Gardens will also be given.

“It’s an opportunity for students to see Reiman Gardens and how beautiful they are,” Thompson said. “I don’t think a lot of students take the time to do that.”

Stash the Trash, the annual citywide trash pick-up day, is an event that is joining with Veishea Service Day. The event is sponsored by the Ames Tribune and is expected to draw in more than 400 volunteers.

“Opportunities for Stash the Trash are really unlimited,” said Keenan.

A unique addition to the projects this year is the construction of a rain garden at the Ames Public Library.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency Web site, a rain garden is a grouping of grasses and small plants that acts as a way to absorb rainwater runoff.

Nancy Carroll, director of Ames Park and Recreation, has worked closely with the Veishea committee on several of the planned service projects, including the rain garden.

“We want to do it only because we like doing things that are outdoors, things that are hands-on and we want to make an impact that is long-term,” Carroll said.

Making a return to Veishea is Operation Playground; this year is its third incarnation. The annual event has seen ISU volunteers, with help from the city of Ames, construct an entire playground in one day at an Ames community park. This year, the park getting the face-lift is Franklin Park.

Other prominent names attached to the service day are Youth and Shelter Services, an Iowa-based organization that will allow volunteers to paint a mural at one of it buildings, and Habitat for Humanity of Central Iowa, a home-building organization that needs volunteers for renovation projects around the city.

For students who want to volunteer but do not want to stray far from campus, there are additional opportunities for constructing stained glass signage, shrub trimming, van detailing, softball dugout scrapping and painting, landscaping, playground repair and park cleanup; truly, something for everyone.

Other service projects in the surrounding area are available at Ledges Park and the Wildlife Research Station in Boone.

For those who don’t wish to work outdoors, Youth and Shelter Services is offering many indoor painting opportunities around the Ames and Boone area. There is also a chance to relocate and shelve books at the Nevada Public Library.

As a further incentive to get involved, all service projects are valid for accreditation toward the 10,000 Hours Show. The show is an annual concert put on for college students in the state of Iowa who volunteer a minimum of 10 hours community service. This year, the performer is the Australian rock band Jet.

Jennifer Osler, Veishea large-scale community service projects co-chairwoman and senior in biology, said she has been working closely with the 10,000 Hours Show people to ensure students could come together on the two projects.

“We’re in this together,” Osler said of the 10,000 Hours committee.

Carroll said what sets Veishea Service Day and previous Veisheas apart from other community service activities is the enthusiasm and quality the students put forth in their work.

“I couldn’t be more impressed with the breadth of what these students are doing,” Carroll said. “I’ve never been disappointed with what they can do.”

Applications are due Feb. 26 and can be found online at www.veishea.iastate.edu.