Cyclones dispatch Billikens in Saint Louis

Travis Cordes

It’s one of the most important concepts stressed in all team sports: execute the simple things first.

Cyclone Hockey followed this to perfection last weekend when the team traveled to Saint Louis University, where it swept the Billikens (3-23-0, 2-16-0 CSCHL) 6-1 and 3-0.

“It was just a matter of doing the little things right,” said freshman Brian Spring. “We just played basic hockey all weekend and were able to execute everything very well.”

Spring, who joined the No. 6 Cyclones (24-8-2, 9-6-1) at the beginning of the spring semester, has found his niche with the team, and has had two goals each of the last two weekends.

“Everything seems to be clicking right now,” Spring said. “I saw limited time my first few weekends here, but did the most I could with the opportunities I was given. Now everything is falling into place and we’re all playing really well.”

Spring joined fellow freshman Shane Mytnik and sophomore Mike Murtaugh in scoring two goals a piece on the weekend, leading a high-power offense that fired more than 100 shots in two games.

“We did an outstanding job of forechecking and winning the turnover battle,” said associate head coach Brian Wilkie. “We really took care of the puck and got outstanding play from our goalies all weekend.”

Senior Trent Baker, who has seen most of the workload in goal since Winter Break, stayed hot on Friday night by giving up just one goal in the second period.

Although Baker has been sharp for the past four series, freshman Christian Johansson got the call on Saturday, seeing his first full game between the pipes since Jan. 7 against Missouri State. He also appeared in the series finale against Illinois on Jan. 20.

Despite seeing limited playing time, Johansson showed no signs of rust, blanking the Billikens for his second shutout of the season. The other came on Nov. 26, 2006, at North Dakota State.

“Trent deserved a break, and we wanted to get Christian some time on the ice,” Wilkie said. “It’s great to know, especially with tournaments on the way, that you have two goalies that can get the job done on any given night.”

The Cyclones are preparing for conference rival Kent State, which visits Ames next weekend for an eight-point conference series. If the Cyclones can at least split with the Golden Flashes, they will secure the fourth seed in the Central States Collegiate Hockey League tournament.

Special 10-ticket packages will be on sale all week for just $30 for Friday night’s 7:30 opener. Saturday’s game is set for 8:30 p.m., part of a doubleheader with the women’s club team at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena.