Students, faculty discuss gender disparity in STEM fields

Julie Young

More than 30 ISU faculty members and graduate students met Monday afternoon to discuss gender issues for women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields.

“The lack of [female role models] in STEM fields is a problem almost everywhere,” said Susan Carlson, interim vice president of English, interim vice president in the provost’s office and the principal investigator of ISU Advance.

This discussion was a part of ISU Advance, a program to promote a transformation of “departmental cultures, practices and structures as well as university policies” regarding women faculty in STEM fields, according to the ISU Advance Web site.

“Our goal today is to coordinate discussion about the national report, address issues for women and strategies for change,” Carlson said.

The lecture and discussion was based on the recent article, “Beyond Bias and Barriers: Fulfilling the Potential of Women in Academic Science and Engineering.”

“As a graduate student, I feel I have very few female role models who have navigated career and family successfully,” said Danielle Wain, graduate student in civil, construction and environmental engineering, in a roundtable discussion.

Wain expressed her desire to eventually become a professor in her field.

Faculty members discussed the importance of diversity and brainstormed ways to improve gender equity on the ISU campus.

“I’m lucky in my department that we have faculty members as role models who are balancing work and having children,” said Claire Andreasen, professor and chairwoman in veterinary pathology.

The lecture briefly outlined key points found in the “Beyond Bias” article concerning gender equity in the workplace.

“There is extensive research standing behind each of the eight main findings [in the article,]” Carlson said.

The findings include that women have the ability and drive to succeed in science and engineering and that women interested in such careers are lost at every educational transition, Carlson said.

Recommendations to combat gender bias include action at all levels of the university, from trustees to university presidents, deans and department chairs, Carlson believes.

Bonnie Bowen, adjunct assistant professor of ecology, evolution and organismal biology and director of ISU Advance said students are welcome at all ISU Advance events.

“Who’s going to become the future of universities? Students can get a real sense of some of the issues they may face [by attending ISU Advance events,]” Bowen said.

For more information about ISU Advance, Bowen recommends the organization’s Web site: www.Advance.iastate.edu.

The group’s next event will take place Feb. 22, where Judith Kimble will address “Strategies for Success.”

A free executive summary of the article discussed in the lecture is available at www.nap.edu/catalog/11741.html.