ISU freshman comes up big

Grant Wall

Inside the ISU locker room, Wesley Johnson has one nickname.

He’s called Mr. Double-Double, a tribute by his teammates to his phenomenal play.

With Johnson leading the Big 12 in double-doubles – as a true freshman no less – Cyclone guard Mike Taylor christened his new teammate with the nickname.

The forward from Texas is averaging 12 points and nine rebounds through 19 games. Nine of those games have resulted in double-digit point and rebound efforts.

Not bad for a player who one year ago wasn’t playing basketball anywhere.

Johnson’s road to Iowa State was anything but straight.

He committed to Louisiana-Monroe during high school, but decided not to go after the school went through a coaching change. He went to Eldon Academy, a learning center for elite post-high school graduate basketball players in Petoskey, Mich., but the school did not field a team, meaning Johnson was out of a place to play.

So he took a year off, worked on his game and grew three inches.

That’s when things fell into place that would eventually land Johnson with the Cyclones.

Greg McDermott hired Jean Prioleau as an assistant coach. Prioleau had recruited Johnson at both his previous coaching stops, Wichita State and Marquette.

After losing touch with Johnson, Prioleau and Marquette head coach Tom Crean were in Detroit to look at another player. There, standing in the gym when they got there, was Johnson.

“We walked into the gym and Coach Crean said, ‘Who’s that kid?'” Prioleau said.

The coach started up a dialogue with Johnson and when Prioleau took the job at Iowa State, a call to Johnson came soon after.

Once Iowa State showed interest, it wasn’t long before Johnson was on board.

“The coaching staff was real,” Johnson said. “Nice people. They were really up front with everything. We couldn’t pass on it, it’s the Big 12.”

Things have taken off from there and Johnson isn’t looking back.

In his second game of the season – against Louisiana-Monroe, the school he almost attended – Johnson recorded his first double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Two games later was another double-double, this time 15 points and 10 rebounds against Norfolk State.

The quick start was a result of not playing basketball for a season.

“I hadn’t played for a long time so I was anxious to play,” Johnson said. “I had worked so hard in the offseason, I was ready to put that to work and show my skills off.”

While his start was impressive, Johnson picked up his production even more when conference play rolled around.

“Did I know he was going to do what he’s doing now? No. I had no idea,” Prioleau said. “He’s athletic, that’s pretty obvious. He’s done things that you won’t expect with his size and that comes down to his quickness.”

In five conference games, Johnson ranks second in the Big 12 in rebounding, pulling down 11 boards a game, trailing only fellow freshman phenom Kevin Durant of Texas.

So what does make Johnson such a good rebounder? According to the man himself, it’s all about desire.

“I want the ball,” Johnson said. “Especially on offense. That’s another chance for us to score. If I can get the ball back, then we can have another chance to score.”

His efforts have earned Johnson Big 12 Player of the Week in December and Rookie of the Week honors for his first two conference games. Those awards could swell Johnson’s head, but instead they are making him even hungrier.

“If I want to get it again, I have to work that much harder,” Johnson said. “They aren’t just going to give it to me.

“I was in shock, there are a ton of good players in the Big 12 and they picked me. I was happy to hear that.”

Maybe the most amazing thing about Johnson’s play is that he’s doing it while playing out of position.

Johnson is more of a natural three, but Iowa State’s lack of size has him playing the four, putting up these numbers against much larger players.

“He’s just a player,” Prioleau said. “He’s a guy that if he plays the four a little bit he can give you something, which he’s done. What’s great is he has a lot of experience and he’s getting a chance to play.”

Johnson tributes his success to McDermott, a coach who knows a thing or two about playing under the basket.

“I just listen to coach,” Johnson said. “He was a post so I listen and learn from him. He tells me to use my quickness and my ability to my advantage. Usually there will be a guy on me who’s slower then me so I use that to my advantage and it’s working out. “

While Johnson has established himself as Iowa State’s Mr. Double-Double, Prioleau has another thing he wants the forward to be known for.

“I just want him to be Mr. Everyday,” Prioleau said. “Forget the double-double. I want him to come and play hard and do what he’s supposed to do on and off the court.

“That’s what you want from all your guys. He still has a long way to go, but he’s coming along.”