Center completes renovations

Adam Edelman

After a year and a half of construction, renovations to the Black Cultural Center have been completed. The center’s rededication ceremony will take place on Feb. 14, with ISU President Gregory Geoffroy and Ames Mayor Ann Campbell set to attend.

The much-needed renovations focused on the necessities. The center received new furniture, carpeting, flooring, plumbing repairs, a new driveway and other repairs to the building itself. Meeting rooms were added for community use. The basement, once used as storage, is now a comfortable meeting area with a projector.

Fabian Awanyai, junior in interdisciplinary studies and representative of the Black Student Alliance, said the new cultural center will have some new qualities that will increase the use of the center.

“It went from just restoration to actually putting in new features,” Awanyai said. “When we start to use it, there will be many new activities there.”

It is expected that the improved center will serve as a place for Iowans to come appreciate the history of African Americans in Iowa.

Thomas Hill, vice president of student affairs, said there are plans to move the current Iowa African American hall of fame to the center.

“The hall of fame consists of a collection of names and biographies that is being housed temporarily in a couple of different locations,” Hill said.

The relocation of the hall of fame along with other paintings and sources at the center will centralize African American history in Iowa and African American history at Iowa State into one building.

“It’s a good opportunity to combine some things that are really significant to residents of Iowa, particularly African Americans,” Hill said.

James Booker, junior in management and representative of the Black Student Alliance, described the center as a communal gathering place, where people can learn about African American culture in a relaxed setting.

“It’s a place where people can get together and feel more comfortable and relax, study and socialize,” Booker said.

“It’s kind of like a home away from home.”

The funds for renovations were raised by the Black Student Alliance. The Alliance formed The Black Cultural Center Task Force to focus on getting donations.

Major contribution came from various groups and individuals in the community, including ISU students, faculty, staff, alumni, administration, Government of the Student Body, the city of Ames and the Ames Police Benevolent Association.