King’s message rings loud at celebration

Kyle Miller

The words and memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. rang free and true throughout the Great Hall of the Memorial Union on Thursday as the 21st-annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Celebration took place.

The celebration included guest speakers and musical accompaniment and was emceed by Levon Esters, assistant professor of agricultural education and studies. Esters told the audience to remember the three R’s of King’s achievements.

“Remember his accomplishments, reflect on the sacrifices of the past and rejoice for the future,” Esters said.

The festivities continued with jaunty, staccato Hungarian classical music performed by Sucre Musique.

Next to speak was the Government of the Student Body President and senior in political science Emily Jensen.

Her speech focused on the long list of hardships and accomplishments that King went through for racial equality— – including being arrested 20 times, being assaulted four times, helping to desegregate the South, evening out hiring practices, being the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize and being involved with the 1964 Civil Rights Bill.

Jensen went on to commemorate the opening of the Multicultural Center for Racial Equality.

“Dr. King’s legacy is alive and well at Iowa State University,” Jensen said.

Next to speak was Dimar Brown, senior in political science and president of the Black Student Alliance. His speech centered on the sequential order of King’s speeches, from his “I Have a Dream” speech to his “Mountaintop” speech.

“If Dr. King hadn’t dreamed in 1963, then he wouldn’t have seen the mountaintop in 1968,” Brown said.

Brown’s speech went on to focus on the importance of dreams, decrying the general complacency of the American public.

“We are no longer marching, no longer political, no longer do we dream,” Brown said.

Ron Schuck, Ames Middle School science teacher and Multicultural Club adviser, spoke next presenting the Ames Middle School Celebrating Diversity Club, who had created “I Celebrate” buttons and stickers.

Schuck listed the five ways that Dr. King is still relevant today, citing the national holiday, his courageous nonviolent protest message, his commitment to change the culture of segregation, his teaching everyone they should have their heads held high and his status as one of our greatest American citizens.

“Dr. King taught me the power to persist in your message everyday,” Schuck said.

Next, a film of King’s “I Have a Dream” speech was shown. His words and his message rang deep and true in the Great Hall, being all too true and important, just as the day they were spoken.

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy presented the Advancing One Community Awards next.

“I would personally want to have had the chance to meet Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. – a great citizen of the world,” Geoffroy said.

The awards were given to the categories of group, student and faculty/staff who best embody the spirit of King. The first award went to the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Alliance whose regular functions and work in the arena of nonviolent actions provide an important opportunity for individuals to express themselves without fear of vicious reprisal.

“This organization is student driven, but community oriented,” Geoffroy said.

The next award went to Vijay Kanagala, graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies. His accomplishments in racial programs and relations are numerous and truly embody the work of Dr. King.

“Vijay has the uncanny ability to bring people together and has a commitment to social justice,” Geoffroy said.

The last recipient was ISU faculty member George Jackson, assistant dean of the graduate college and president of the Ames chapter of the NAACP, who sits on the board of the Iowa African American Hall of Fame and has raised $2 million to support minority students.

“George believes deeply in freedom, one community and dignity,” Geoffroy said.

The Gospel Soul Innovators then filled the hall with a lively brand of soul music that had the audience clapping along.

Derrick Rollins, associate professor of statistics and chemical and biological engineering and chairman of the MLK Jr. Celebration Planning Committee, gave the closing remarks, giving credit to all on the committee whose efforts culminated in this series of MLK Jr. events.

“It’s nice to have a committee with people who are passionate about what they are doing,” Rollins said.

The event ended with the Gospel Soul Innovators singing “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” with audience participation. Birthday cake was served, provided by the ISU Dining Services.