Project fulfills father’s dream

Julie Young

When Thomas Mazula signed up for a Freshman Honors Mentor Program with James Kurtenbach, associate professor of accounting, he never imagined making headlines.

Through the mentorship, Mazula, junior in accounting and psychology, conducted research that is now prompting the creation of a chemical dependency rehabilitation facility tailored to professional women.

“Tom set a new standard for Freshman Honors mentees,” Kurtenbach said. “He is a bright, hardworking, innovative and creative young man.”

As a part of the Freshman Honors Program, students are given the opportunity to sign up for a mentorship with a faculty member for class credit.

“It’s a completely volunteer experience that’s great for connecting faculty and students,” said Brandy Cunningham, program coordinator for the University Honors Program.

Mazula’s assigned professor was not committed to numbers, despite being in accounting. The two met briefly before the second semester mentorship to discuss what the program would entail.

“He asked me what I wanted to do, and I’ve always been interested in psychology,” Mazula said.

When Mazula was home in Lakeville, Minn., his father, Derek Mazula, shared a dream he had about a rehabilitation center to cater specifically to professional women.

“I thought of a program that would be a basic outline of Dad’s dream,” Mazula said.

Returning to Iowa State, he created an e-mail survey that revealed need for this type of treatment and formed a network of over 800 individuals.

“Creating the survey [took] about 30 hours, with another 30 for responses,” Mazula said.

He said each participant received a thank-you, along with answers to questions and details about the program.

“People we talked to have been wholeheartedly behind it,” Mazula said.

Several individual women have already expressed an interest in the new program, but must wait for the details to be settled.

“My dad has to deal with the saddest part: to turn people away,” Mazula said.

Currently, the Mayo family mansion has been purchased in Rochester, Minn., to house the rehabilitation center.

“It was supposed to open in February of this year,” Mazula said, citing a “property value issue” as the largest opposition.

He explained that neighbors were fearful of a drop in the value of their homes if the center opened.

“It would be horrible [if the center did not open] because we have put so much into this,” Mazula said.

Kurtenbach helped Mazula with the market analysis for success of the facility.

“Every new business faces a high probability of failure,” Kurtenbach said. “But the knowledge gained from a startup far outweighs the costs.”

If plans materialize, the center will be called Drifens, an anagram of the words finders and friends.

Students at Iowa State are supportive of Mazula’s recent efforts.

“I think it’s very noble of a person to take on such a cause,” said Kellie Kendrick, junior in Spanish.

In numerous interviews, Mazula is adamant in giving his father credit for the idea and logistics behind Drifens.

“It’s mainly his [project,] but I’m helping out,” Mazula said. “I’ve really enjoyed the process and can see myself doing this someday.”