Fast start for ISU track

Brian Guillaume

Someone forgot to tell the ISU women’s track team that it just is supposed to be gaining experience from meets.

The young Cyclones started the ISU Open off with a bang on Friday and carried the momentum all the way through Saturday, winning four titles and claiming 14 top 10 finishes in the two-day event.

Among the top performances of the weekend was that of Cyclone distance runner Lisa Koll, who had an impressive debut after redshirting last season. Koll, who is coming off an All-American cross country season, dominated Saturday’s 3,000-meter run, setting a new meet record of 9 minutes, 40.72 seconds. The previous record was held by Janet Trieber of Kansas State, who ran the race in a time of 9:41.00 in 1992.

Koll, a junior from Fort Dodge, took the lead on the third lap and never looked back, winning by 22 seconds in dominating fashion.

“[Cross country] was a huge boost in confidence. When I step to the line, I feel like it’s my duty to go out there and run as fast as I can,” Koll said.

The Cyclones opened the meet on Friday with an impressive victory in the 4×300-meter relay. The relay team of Rebecca Williams, Lashawn Wright, Leia Jackson and Sara Boisen took the lead early and continued to pull away from the field throughout the race.

“My team got a strong lead,” Boisen said. “Rebecca started off really well and we just maintained that lead. Lashawn, our freshman, did a great job and it was just a great race.”

Friday night was only a sign of things to come. The Cyclones continued their winning ways in the second day of competition.

Williams won the 60-meter hurdle title with a time of 8.54 seconds, beating out teammate Jenna Caffrey who took second in the race for the Cyclones.

Caffrey followed up by placing third in the 60-meter run, running a career-best 7.81 seconds, narrowly finishing behind freshman teammate Lashawn Wright who took second place with 7.80 seconds.

“I just wanted to come out here and run my best,” Caffrey said. “I ran some of my best times and it was good competition.

“These college meets are definitely a step up from high school; there’s a lot more competition. I think I’m adjusting to it, the more meets I get under my belt the better.”

Her coach was pleased with her prograss.

“She’s coming along extremely well,” assistant coach Scott Roberts said. “She got a big PR [personal record] in the 60-m dash and equaled her PR in the 60-m hurdles. I don’t think I have ever had a freshman that’s run that fast this early, so I’m really excited about what lies ahead.”

Jenny Mockler also made in an impressive debut, winning the 1,000-meter run with a time 2:52.09. The senior from Liverpool, England, was returning to action after redshirting last season.

Sara Boisen continued her success from Friday night by finishing second in the 800-meter run.

Boisen led from the gun but was passed coming down the stretch on the final lap by Northern Iowa’s Jamie Hutchinson.

The Cyclones also got top ten performances from Jackson, Leigh Wagner, Megan Nielsen, Britta Christofferson and Amy Waggoner.

The Cyclones return to action on Jan. 27 at the Adidas Classic in Lincoln, Neb.