New edition published to celebrate 150 years

Shelly Leonard

After years of work by several authors, editors and committees, Iowa State’s sesquicentennial book, “A Sesquicentennial History of Iowa State University: Tradition and Transformation,” has been unveiled to the public.

Tahira Hira, executive assistant to the president, welcomed everyone to the unveiling and thanked all those involved for their hard work.

“Without you all, this project would have never been here. We are very fortunate,” Hira said. “Because of your wonderful work, we have the project here today.”

Since the last history book was published in the 1940s, there were many years that needed to be researched and reported, Hira said.

Dorothy Schwieder, university professor emerita of history and co-editor of the book, spoke on the creation of the book.

“This was a very gratifying, great challenge,” Schwieder said.

She gave credit to Earle D. Ross, who published the previous book in 1942.

Ross was a professor of history at Iowa State and covered the colleges’ history up to that point in time.

“It was long-awaited and much anticipated. The book didn’t disappoint anyone and if we don’t need any other testimony of it; it has stood the test of time,” Schwieder said.

She said it was fitting to pay tribute when the new book was introduced because it consisted of two parts: Ross’s book and the new book, which covers up to 2000.

“Today, we’re here to introduce a new history [and] to acknowledge the contributions of many,” Schwieder said.

The first half of the book looks at the past presidents and administration and the second half takes a topical approach to student life, student issues, student athletics and faculty issues, among others.

Geoffroy praised the book’s authors and editors as well as all involved in the upcoming sesquicentennial celebration.

“This is something that only comes along once every 150 years, so it’s important we do it right,” Geoffroy said. “It’s a great opportunity to celebrate the first 150 years of Iowa State’s history, build pride in what we’ve accomplished in those many years, and to look forward to the next 150.”

Geoffroy said this book will be a great gift given to alumni, benefactors and faculty members as well as being a great resource for the university in many ways.

“This book is the work of a lot of dedicated authors and is an important, almost defining moment in many ways; a memorable moment in Iowa State’s history,” Geoffroy said. “When we unveil a book like this, it truly documents a very important segment in the university’s history and I want to thank everyone involved.”

Jennifer Barker-Devine, graduate assistant in history, co-authored the book and wrote the chapter on student life. She said the chapter was challenging because there were 30 pages to work with and there have been thousands and thousands of students over the years.

“You first start looking for the big themes. What is the most important, what really stands out,” Barker-Devine said.

She started by talking to faculty, alumni and administrators and asking them, “When you think of Iowa State history, what stands out to you?”

“Everything I looked at – every organization, every dorm, every experience – came down to the idea that students came to Iowa State to find a place where they could belong,” Barker-Devine said.

One of the main ideas, she said, was how students interacted at the university and the reasons they came to Iowa State.

“I hope what I could do was portray the idea that over the last 150 years, students came here looking for a community and [describe] the various ways they were able to find that,” Barker-Devine said.

The 368-page book is available for $49.99 and can be ordered through the University Book Store, the Alumni Association and Blackwell Publishing.