Student Government to hold Meet the Candidate open house

Madelyn Ostendorf/Iowa State Daily

Student Government members listen as members of Ames City Council explain issues pertaining to both students and residents Feb. 27.

Madelyn Ostendorf

As Student Government elections draw closer, students will have the opportunity to meet the candidates for the executive slates as well as candidates running for senatorial seats.

At 4 p.m. Tuesday, candidates will be in Room 198 in Parks Library to talk with students about their platforms, plans should they be elected and what Student Government does. The one hour event will not only feature candidates running for office but will also give students the chance to speak with current members of Student Government and voice concerns they may have. The event will also provide free pizza for students.

“With elections, we want to try and promote them as much as possible,” said Chase Kusel, the Senior Director of Communications for Student Government. “We want the students’ voices to be heard in a way, in the best way possible –– we want everyone to vote. This year, we have really been focused on how we can really engage turnout, because it has typically been really low.”

Kusel also spoke to the importance of students interacting face-to-face with their prospective representatives.

“You can’t replace the one-on-one interaction that you can get with students and really hear their opinions,” Kusel said.

Elections will take place March 12 and 13; students can vote online at vote.iastate.edu.

To read more about Senatorial candidates, check out their biographies.

To hear more about candidates for president and vice president, listen to Iowa State Daily’s Meet the Candidates podcast.