Students dance to make difference in children’s lives

Shelly Leonard

On Jan. 20, 2007, ISU students will come together to dance, play games and just have fun – all for the sake of children in need.

Dance Marathon, an organization designed to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network and the Children’s Hospital of Iowa, encourages students to “kick it for the kids” in a 15-hour event in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

“This event is unforgettable,” said Julie Hunt, junior in sociology and Dance Marathon general co-director. “We have interactive entertainment, live performances, competitions, music to keep you on your feet all day long and so much more. On top of it all, it is such a simple way to give back.”

Many people don’t know what to expect from the event before they participate.

“I was blown away by the entire event – the students, the emotion and the stories about the amazing children from the hospital,” Hunt said. “From then on, I knew I wanted to be as involved as possible.”

The event, which was created more than 30 years ago, came to Iowa State in spring 1998 and is now the largest student-run philanthropic event at Iowa State.

“It’s hard to do much better than what Dance Marathon does,” said Christopher Deal, senior in mechanical engineering and Dance Marathon general co-director. “The amount of people it affects and the way it affects people’s lives; I can’t think of anything that really parallels it.”

The organization has an executive committee of 16 people, as well as many students in subcommittees, such as a hospitality, community development, entertainment, public relations and recruitment.

“I have never spoken to anyone who, after participating in Dance Marathon, did not feel like they had made a difference in someone’s life and who did not want to do it again,” said Clark Richardson, senior in agricultural business and morale captain for Dance Marathon.

Last year’s ISU Dance Marathon raised more than $145,000 for children with the help of 500 dancers and 100 committee members. The event helped more than 80 Iowa families last year and already has 91 signed up for this year.

“There are so many children who don’t deserve to be sick and who need our help,” Richardson said. “Seeing their faces the day of Dance Marathon and knowing this is one day where they get to be normal, happy kids makes me appreciate how much I have been blessed and makes me want to help them. Standing for 15 hours is nothing compared to what they and their families have to go through on a daily basis.”

The organization also does mini-events leading up to the main event in January. These include fundraisers with local businesses such as Cold Stone Creamery, Taco John’s and Dairy Queen, mini-marathons with local high schools,and the “Duck for a Buck” event.

Dancers can still sign up for the event online at Dm.stuorg.iastate.edu. There is a $25 registration fee and dancers are asked to raise $175 on their own. Students are awarded with prizes such as T-shirts, free snacks, massages and half-price merchandise based on how much money they raise. The student who raises the most money is awarded a semester-long parking pass from the ISU Department of Public Safety Parking Division.

“Every college student should do Dance Marathon at least once so you can experience it and see how giving one day of your life can change the lives of families,” Deal said. “Once you do this, you’ll be hooked and you’ll want to do it over and over again.”