New track season brings excitement, change in attitude

Kyle Oppenhuizen

A new attitude has the ISU men’s track team looking for vast improvement over last year.

“This year just has a different feel than every other year I’ve been here,” senior Neil Hines said. “There’s a lot of excitement, and we’re stronger as a team. I’m especially excited for this year, with the new people we have, just kind of a change in attitude is what’s happening,”

Hines, who competes in the multi-event decathlon and heptathlon, is part of a returning group that is hoping to improve on last year’s 11th-place finish at the Big 12 Indoor Championships, starting Friday, with the Holiday Preview at the Lied Recreation Athletic Center.

Another teammate wanting to make an impact is Kiel Uhl, who was the top American finisher in the World Cross Country Championships in Japan last spring as a freshman, and placed 121st at the Division I Cross Country Championships last month.

“Kiel Uhl in the distance area is going to have a big effect for us,” assistant coach Corey Ihmels said.

Chase Madison is also hoping to make an impact in the shot put after finishing 11th overall in the outdoor track championships in the discus throw, though he has been battling injuries as of late.

Madison broke his foot earlier in the fall, and has also been fighting a hand injury.

“Hopefully he can come back and be strong enough to throw the shot indoors,” throws coach Dan O’Mara said. “He has a chance if he’s able to compete in the shot to be one of the top three in the conference.”

Jared Graham is coming off of a redshirt last season, and according to head coach Steve Lynn, is ready for his best season yet running in the 400-meter races.

“He’s better than he’s ever been right now,” Lynn said.

The team is welcoming 11 freshmen, and Lynn is anxious to see how they evolve.

“We’ve got some young guys, we want to see what they can do once the gun goes off for real.” Lynn said.

A talented group of sophomores is returning as well, and Lynn is looking for many of them to build of the experience of their freshman year and step up.

“I think you’re going to see guys that were freshmen last year have big drops [in times] this year, and really make big impacts for us this year,” Lynn said.

One of the goals for the indoor season revolves around the Big 12 Indoor Championships, which Iowa State will host on Feb. 23 and 24.

After last year’s finish, the team is hungry for redemption, and wants to compete well in front of the hometown fans.

“That’s obviously a big meet for us,” Lynn said. “We’ll really be trying to crank up for that.

“You expect to compete well at your own place. The guys already know that the worst thing to do is to be sitting on the sideline and watching while other people are competing in the finals at your place.

“They will be very motivated to do a good job.”

The team will get a chance to see how far it has come on Friday, when it hosts Kansas City Community College, Lindenwood University, Truman State, Northwest Missouri State, MidAmerica Nazarene, Northern Iowa and Drake.

Friday’s meet will be held at Lied Recreation Athletic Center. Field events start at 2 p.m., and running events start at 4 p.m.