Building traditions

Adam Edelman

Everything from martial arts to funky dance moves was on display Wednesday as student organizations introduced themselves at ClubFest, most of them inside the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Outside, however, students may have noticed something strange taking place on the lawn next to the fountain: college students wearing handmade armor and costumes, beating each other with clubs made from fiberglass and foam.

Clashing warriors from the Tir Asleen Medieval Combat Society represented one of the more than 200 student organizations present, including the Tai Chi club, Hip Hop Dance Club and Vegan club.

Now in its fifth year, the Tir Asleen is a seasoned veteran of ClubFest. Matt Stevenson, ISU alumnus and Tir Asleen Medieval Combat Society founder, or “Xipher,” as he is known during combat, said his club was “sniffin’ out new members, just like everyone else at ClubFest.”

The combat society meets at 7 p.m. every Tuesday and at 3 p.m. each Saturday. Members can participate in battles or just come as spectators.

The focus of the society is the skill of the sport, rather than the role-playing or historical aspect of it.

“It is a great alternative to sports,” Stevenson said.

Carter Slagell, freshman in engineering, was considering joining the combat society for physical activity.

“It seemed like lots of fun,” Slagell said.

Inside the Memorial Union, the presenting clubs tried to bring students to their tables.

The Official LEGO Club of ISU attracted students to its booth with its impressive LEGO structures and by giving away free golden LEGOs.

The club, which started last semester, collectively owns 13,000 LEGO bricks and has constructed models of tanks, pyramids and even a model of Friley Hall.

Emilee Rose, freshman in liberal arts and sciences-open option, attended ClubFest for the first time.

Rose said she was impressed with the variety of clubs in attendance.

“It was nice to see what’s out there. There are many different clubs,” Rose said.

Rose said she favored the more visually attractive booths, such as the Spanish club booth.

“I was drawn to the enthusiastic booths, the ones with the big billboards,” Rose said.