Cardinal Court brings back old traditions

Renee Oehlerking

Move over Cy – it’s time to make room for the new royalty that will be crowned at Iowa State this year.

The Student Alumni Leadership Council’s Cardinal Court has put a new spin on old traditions for the 2006 Homecoming festivities.

Although the original Homecoming royalty tradition ended in 1998 because of its “popularity contest” status, Cardinal Court has been established to recognize students who are involved in the ISU community through a scholarship program.

“[Cardinal Court] is trying to highlight those students who have served the university,” said Susanne Hamilton, SALC advisor and program assistant for alumni services.

“We wanted to highlight student achievements as part of the Homecoming celebration.”

Recipients of the scholarships will be judged on success in academics, student involvement and community service to the student body through an application and interview process.

“Cardinal Court is important because it lets the community know that students within the university are involved and lend a helping hand and that traditions are still being held,” said Lisa Ryherd, royalty coordinator for the 2006 Homecoming Central committee.

Ryherd said Homecoming Central originally wanted to bring back the tradition altogether, but after discussions with alumni and faculty, the decision was reached to revive the Homecoming court as a scholarship.

“We haven’t done it in a long time, but we wanted to bring more of a scholarship aspect in it,” said Allyson Dierenfeld, public relations and marketing coordinator for the 2006 Homecoming Central committee and junior in communication studies.

Although there is only one crowned winner, five scholarships will be awarded.

“When we decided funds we decided on one overall winner but still wanted to recognize the people who were close,” Ryherd said.

The Student Alumni Association, which funds the scholarships, will be giving out more than $2,000 for award recipients.

“The winner will get a crown or tiara and will also have other extra expenses going into it that they are benefiting from,” Ryherd said.

The winners will be selected by a committee of five diverse representatives made up of ISU alumni, faculty and other Ames community members.

The three confirmed members as of now are Ames Mayor Ann Campbell, Vice President of Student Affairs Thomas Hill and Government of the Student Body Vice President Sara Faber. The remaining two members have not been finalized but are hoped to be previous Homecoming kings and queens.

Ryherd said male and female students have shown interest in the scholarships.

“The judging committee will not be judging on gender,” Ryherd said. “They will be judging on involvement.”

Others have noticed a similarity among the applications.

“The majority of people I heard that are going to apply have been males,” said Daniel Determan, one of the Homecoming Central general co-chairpersons.

This year’s Homecoming Week activities take place in two different divisions. The Cardinal Division is for the greek events and the Gold Division is for all ISU student events.

SALC is hoping to get a range of applicants from all aspects of the ISU community.

“Traditionally we have great involvement from the greek community,” Hamilton said, “and now we’re trying to expand to the whole ISU community, both greek and non-greek.

“This is a great way for all students to get involved.”

Ryherd said if Cardinal Court is successful this year, they would consider having additional scholarships for a king and a queen in the future.

However, she said she would like to see an increase in sponsorship for the scholarship funds.