Career day showcases volunteer opportunities

Andrea Fier

The Social Services Volunteer and Career Day on Tuesday afternoon at the Memorial Union brought new opportunities to a variety of students.

There was a wide variety of organizations in attendance, including the Peace Corps and The Blood Center of Iowa, offering a wide range of opportunities for student volunteers to contribute to their organizations.

The Peace Corps is an international organization which organizes volunteers to work around the world in several fields including education, health and the environment.

David Jesse, campus representative for the Peace Corps and graduate student in anthropology, who volunteered in Eastern Europe, said his time working in community development was a positive experience, because it was the least structured of assignments. During his time abroad, Jesse said he got an opportunity to work in a number of different areas, such as at the hospital, the library, the school and with the mayor.

“The thing I appreciate most was the diversity of connections I made [through the Peace Corps],” Jesse said.

The Blood Center of Iowa, which is the largest community-based center in Iowa, was also among the organizations participating in this year’s volunteer fair.

“Blood donors are very important to us,” said Allison Hay, volunteer coordinator for the center.All the blood collected [from the center] stays with the hospitals we serve and goes to help the patients in Iowa.”

Hayley Martin, sophomore in biology, attended the fair and is a member of the blood drive committee at Iowa State. She plans to donate in next week’s blood drive. Martin attended the fair to see what opportunities are available.

“As a pre-med student I am looking to upgrade my applications and get the edge, and it’s always a good cause,” Martin said. “Anyone can give [blood], it’s a great opportunity”

Students in attendance came with the focus of finding what kind of volunteer opportunities are available and how they can help.

Jessie Uitermark, freshman in liberal arts and sciences-open option, has had some previous experience working as a volunteer.

“I have volunteered at Miracles in Motion, and I am interested in Camp Courageous,” Uitermark said.

Uitermark said she is interested in the Camp Courageous program because she enjoys working with children who have disabilities and has some experience in that area.

“I just want to get an idea of what is available for me,” Uitermark said.

Amanda Rubie, freshman in sociology, was attending the event for the first time. Although she has no previous experience volunteering, Rubie said the fair was a good chance to find a way to get involved.

“[The event is a] great experience and chance to meet people, and hopefully be a [positive] influence to someone,” she said.