Lecturer tells Catholics to respond to racism

Renee Oehlerking

Continuing racism in the United States was discussed Wednesday night in the Memorial Union.

Racism is still a struggle in today’s society, and Roman Catholics are being asked to show concern, especially in a time when the United States is facing many social and political changes, said Rev. Bryan Massingale, associate professor of theology at Marquette University.

In the Wednesday night lecture, “Why Look at Racism Today?: A Catholic Response,” Massingale outlined five points on why the Catholic community needs to discuss racism.

ISU students and Ames community members listened intently to Massingale’s description of the “social evil” that is racism today.

“The main question is, ‘How can we struggle together . though it harms us in different ways?'” Massingale said. “The Catholic thought is that the wounds are real deep, but healing is possible.”

Massingale used specific examples from his classroom experiences to discuss the five points.

His first point was to follow the legacy and final challenge of Pope John Paul II by being an advocacy for life.

Massingale said this demands people be “unconditionally pro-life” in many aspects of society and confront the forces that impede citizens .

The second point, Massingale said, is to confront the eroding sense of Papal authority.

“We, as Americans, don’t trust the Pope,” Massingale said.

Massingale said he felt that many people don’t see racism as an issue today. This, he said, is rooted in two factors: the abolished, blatant “injusters” in social injustice – things such as MTV – and the way in which we understand and define racism.

The demographic shift that is occurring in society today was Massingale’s third point.

“The United States was still seen as a white, Christian nation, but the census does not tell us that,” Massingale said.

His fourth point was that racism and racial disparity are still real.

“If one looks on the Internet, it is an eye-opening experience of the racism that still occurs,” Massingale said.

The reality of Hurricane Katrina and racially selected empathy was Massingale’s final point.

“A year later, I’m still haunted by tragic images,” Massingale said. “The faces of those who suffered immensely, the faces that are poor and disabled, the faces that are black and brown.”

Massingale said Catholic solidarity is a commitment to act for human rights of all.

“Catholic solidarity dares us to imagine a new society,” he said. “It strengthens the imagination of what is possible. [There is] no us or them, only we and our.”

When describing how the Catholic faith and society can move forward, Massingale said he could not offer a five-point plan on overcoming racism, but that at the heart of the question lie moral and religious beliefs.

“[We] have a deficit of will,” he said. “But there is a more basic question, especially in the light of faith: At the end of the day, do we choose to care?”

Audience members remained after the lecture to thank Massingale and discuss their opinions on his words.

“I thought it was a phenomenal lecture and something that more students need to hear,” said Guillermo Fajardo, sophomore in journalism and mass communication.

Junior Nwobodo, senior in microbiology, said the lecture had inspired him to analyze his surroundings.

“It definitely invited me to think about not just what’s going on around me, but what I can do,” Nwobodo said. “Sometimes it all comes down to things we do. It might even be just hope and passing that hope.”