WebCT, software updates improve safety, simplicity

Julie Young

Information Technology implemented many technological improvements over the summer, which include an updated WebCT format, available free anti-spyware software and new “clickers” for student class participation this semester.

“The new technology upgrades have all happened, in part, to make [using technology] a more seamless process,” said Jim Twetten, communications manager for Information Technology.

Twetten said along with virus protection, the McAfee program now offers free anti-spyware protection to all students.

Although both involve computers, there are distinct differences between viruses and spyware. A virus overwhelms a computer’s network to the point at which data transmission slows, whereas spyware “hides” on a computer and monitors the user’s activities. The IT department advises all students to add the additional free protection.

WebCT has also undergone changes, with the addition of WebCT GOLD, an updated version of the program. The former WebCT is now referred to as WebCT Cardinal, in honor of Cyclone colors.

“It seemed the same as the old one,” said Andrew Schuster, senior in chemistry, after trying WebCT GOLD. “It isn’t any more difficult than before.”

Both WebCT GOLD and Cardinal can be accessed after a single WebCT login, with a link transferring between interfaces. Iowa State plans to phase out the Cardinal platform within two semesters, Twetten said. He said this is an aggressive change, as many universities take at least two years to complete the process.

“From a student perspective, the most noticeable difference is that the new version is separate from the old version,” Twetten said.

The new WebCT integrates more easily with other forms of technology, streamlining the process for faculty.

“The main motivation for our switch [to WebCT GOLD] was the Turning Point clickers,” said Paul Etcheverry, postdoctoral trainee in psychology, who uses the program for his Psychology 280 lecture.

The Turning Point clickers are also new to Iowa State, replacing last year’s CPSrf clickers by eInstruction. The new clickers have several advantages, Twetten said, including no ongoing fees and less technical difficulty.

He said students who previously purchased clickers should be able to trade them in for a credit at the University Book Store. This credit can be used toward the purchase of a new Turning Point clicker.

“[With the new clickers,] the only thing you need to do is log into WebCT GOLD and register your clicker for the class,” Twetten said.