ISU campus gets infected with puzzle addiction

Julie Young

Picking up the newspaper, a person never thinks he or she will be the one to get hooked.

The truth remains, however: The crossword puzzle and Sudoku are taking over Iowa State.

“It can certainly be habit forming,” said Eric Cooper, associate professor of psychology. “There is no physiological mechanism – it’s not like a heroin addiction – but [puzzles] can activate the pleasure area of the brain.”

Aside from missing major lecture points, the effects of doing daily Sudoku and crossword puzzles are still being discovered.

According to a recent Newsweek article, experts claim frequently doing Sudoku or other puzzles can lower blood pressure, relieve stress and even improve a person’s mental focus and sharpness.

“It’s always good to stay active mentally, but I don’t think it will be a permanent effect,” Cooper said.

A 2005 study conducted by Ian Robertson of the Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience in Dublin, Ireland, showed doing puzzles such as Sudoku and the crossword can make the brain appear 14 years younger. The study involved adults older than age 60, however, many of the findings are applicable to all ages.

Along with many cognitive exercises, Sudoku and crossword puzzles have the potential to increase mental processing in the frontal lobes of the brain, improving memory.

Robertson’s study does not assert that Sudoku will cause mental regression to age 5 for college students. However, it exposes the puzzles ability to sharpen current mental abilities.

“I’m a bit skeptical [about Robertson’s results],” Cooper said. “Puzzles can improve vocabulary and help to learn things about the world. To that extent, they can improve mental performance, but not necessarily IQ.”

Doing such puzzles is not without risk, however, as shown by the growing number of Sudoku and crossword addicts. Google provides links to numerous “Sudoku support groups,” and the Facebook at Iowa State touts the group “Sudoku Addicts.”

Margaret Schouten, junior in chemistry, said she does Sudoku puzzles every day.

“I like them because they’re challenging,” Schouten said. “It’s a rush when you finish them.”

Other students feel that puzzles provide an entertaining distraction from certain classes.

“I would rather do the crossword puzzle than listen to my philosophy professor,” said Sydney Nicholls, junior in dietetics.

Although many students may not pay attention in class because of puzzles, Cooper said puzzling isn’t much of a distraction for others.

“[Doing puzzles in class] is not as bad as talking,” he said. “I figure people pay for the lecture, and if they aren’t bothering anyone else it’s okay with me.”

The crossword puzzle can be found on page two of the Daily and the Sudoku puzzle can be found on page nine (second page of Pulse).