Job seekers should use Web boards, connections

Pat Shaver

The real world is quickly creeping up on graduating seniors, and if seniors have not started their job search yet, they will be starting soon.

“The market is good right now,” said Michael Gaul, director of agriculture career services.

The College of Business and the College of Engineering have had a 35 to 45 percent increase in employer visits to campus and job fairs, said Kathryn Wieland, director of business career services.

A lot of students think a job search is purely online, but online job boards are only one piece of the puzzle, Wieland said.

“A good job search is one that is diverse,” she said.

Students need to be patient and be aggressive on their job search, Gaul said.

“It is easy to get dejected,” Gaul said. “You have to keep a positive attitude.”

Working through family, friends, alumni, professors and other connections is a good way to find a job, Wieland said.

“Networking is an important part of the job search,” Gaul said.

Bethany Landon, May 2005 graduate in hotel, restaurant and institution management and assistant manager of off-site catering for ISU Dining, recommends students use the resources they have.

“If your friends say ‘call me if you need anything,’ call them,” she said. “Don’t settle for your first offer. Take your time and get help from Mom and Dad. That’s what they are there for.”

Employers are looking for new graduates with innovative ideas, so it is important to put a lot of effort in your job search, Landon said.

“I sent out at least 50 resumes, and I called a few days later,” she said. “It is about persistence. I turned down six positions before I found one that I wanted.”

The transition from student to professional can be equally as hard as finding a job, Gaul said.

“It is human nature to feel like you are out of your comfort zone,” he said.

“It is important to give it a chance.”

Graduates may become discouraged quickly when starting their careers, but understanding a career can alleviate some of that, Wieland said.

“Be careful initially,” she said. “Make sure you understand the landscape before you do too much or say too much.”

It is hard to separate yourself from the activities you did in college, Wieland said.

“Don’t burn any bridges,” Wieland said. “Think of everybody that you come in contact with as a potential manager. Listen – listen a lot.”