Holi celebration brings out Iowa State’s true colors

Pat Brown

It’s a celebration with as much tradition as color – literally.

The Indian Student Association celebrated Holi Saturday, a “celebration of colors” typically practiced on the day after the first full moon in March, said Srikanth Krithivasan, graduate student in computer science.

The event was originally scheduled for late March, but snow forced the association to postpone the celebration until Saturday.

Students of mixed races chased each other in front of the Campanile, hurling colored powder on each other and occasionally jumping and throwing others into a pool of water.

“This is an excuse to shed all inhibitions,” Krithivasan said. “It’s been a good, festive atmosphere.”

Originally a festival to celebrate good harvests and the fertility of the land, Holi now commemorates a legend from Hindu mythology, in which Lord Krishna and Lady Radha celebrated their love for each other, said Paras Malhotra, graduate student in computer engineering.

“It’s a conference of cultures – Indians, Christians and Muslims,” he said. “We wanted to make the Indian presence felt at Iowa State, and help celebrate the Indian culture.”

Melinda Monterrubio, sophomore in pre-business, was one of multiple non-Indian participants at the festival, and described the atmosphere as “happy and carefree.” She said events such as this are important to adding to the diversity of the ISU campus.

“It’s out in the open so everyone can see it, which is good,” Monterrubio said.

Soaked and covered from head to toe in colored powder, Monterrubio said the welcoming atmosphere of Holi is one that all diverse groups should use on campus.

“I just walked in and I didn’t know anybody, and look at me,” she said, smiling.

Monterrubio said events such as the one on Central Campus Saturday are important to help continue Iowa State’s development in diversity.

“It’s very important,” she said. “Most of Iowa State is white, and I think it’s important to get more diversity.”

Krithivasan agreed.

“It’s great to see everyone out here together, just having fun,” he said.