PATH TO 2006: Linebackers

Grant Wall

The stories have been written almost ad nauseam: A young Cyclone defense is looking to replace solid players at all positions.

However, one position on the defensive side of the football returns plenty of starting experience, and the players replacing departed starters already have extensive experience.

FASTTRAK

Adam Carper, sophomore

The Sporting News gave Carper all-Big 12 freshman honors after a 41-tackle campaign, and he will need to continue to improve to have a successful 2006. Carper is a great young talent in the ISU defense, but the appearance of Michigan State transfer Tyrone McKenzie this year may take away from Carper’s playing time this fall.

Matt Robertson, senior

Robertson netted a career-high 14 tackles in the Houston Bowl to cap the 2005 season. Robertson tied for the team lead in tackles with Tim Dobbins last year at 103, including 47 solo tackles. Robertson’s ability to duplicate his effort from the 2005 season will go a long way in determining the success of the linebacking corps in 2006.

Alvin Bowen, junior

Bowen did not start in 2005, but he still played in all 12 games, giving him the game experience necessary to take over a starting role for 2006. His speed is his biggest asset, and his production will have to increase with his minutes to make up for the graduation of tackling machine Tim Dobbins from last year.

That position is the linebacker corps, a unit that will serve as the backbone of the Cyclones defensive attack.

Senior linebacker Matt Robertson tied for the team lead in tackles last year with departing linebacker Tim Dobbins, making 103 stops.

Adam Carper played in all 12 games in 2005, starting six of those contests as a redshirt freshman.

Alvin Bowen made 33 tackles in reserve duty during his sophomore campaign, backing up Robertson and Dobbins.

Those three set up a solid nucleus to build on, both now and in the future.

“We have some guys who have some experience from last year and a lot of guys who have never played a down,” Carper said. “It’s our responsibility for the guys who have experience to teach them and get them motivated and ready to play.”

Redshirt freshmen Jesse Smith and Josh Raven are also fighting for playing time.

Carper said it’s the job of the returning players to motivate the new guys, getting them ready for play when fall comes around.

“The first game isn’t for another 20 weeks, so you’re kinda like, ‘what are you doing out here,'” Carper said. “You have to think long-term.

“Twenty weeks may seem like a long time, but it isn’t. We just have to get the guys out here and get them some experience and get them ready for the season.”

Carper finished last season with 41 tackles. He also forced and recovered a fumble and came away with an interception.

The linebackers have impressed ISU coach Dan McCarney so far in practice.

“Those guys can run,” McCarney said. “They’re athletic.”

One new face with previous experience is sophomore Tyrone McKenzie.

Following the 2004 season, McKenzie transferred to Iowa State after playing for Michigan State as a true freshman.

“He’s raw,” Carper said. “I think he’s going to show a lot of people what he’s got. He’s an all-around athlete and he can make plays for us.”

McCarney has seen amazing hunger from McKenzie already during spring practice.

“He calls [defensive coordinator] John Skladany at home at night sometimes, talking about things he didn’t do a very good job of that day in practice,” McCarney said. “He’s that conscientious and he wants to be that good.”

McKenzie’s versatility is another thing that has impressed the Cyclone coaching staff. Any and all of the linebacker positions are places to put the player.

“He can play Mike [middle linebacker], he can play Will [weakside linebacker], he can play Sam [strongside linebacker],” McCarney said. “He can play any of those position and play real good for us. And he has three years of eligibility, and that’s great news. I’ll be real surprised if he’s not one of the better linebackers we’ve had here at Iowa State.”