Statewide mumps outbreaks hit campus

Pat Shaver

The mumps has been an uncommon virus for years, but it has suddenly hit Iowa with 300 confirmed, probable and suspect cases to date.

Mumps is a viral infection with symptoms such as fever and swelling of the glands and neck, said Marc Shulman, staff physician at Thielen Student Health Center.

There have been two confirmed cases in Story County, both involving students at Iowa State.

“Most people have the vaccine shots, but they are only 95 percent effective,” Shulman said.

The county with the most reported cases in the state is Dubuque County, with 114.

The two other Regent universities in the state have also been affected, with 18 cases at the University of Iowa and close to 20 among students and faculty at the University of Northern Iowa.

The U of I Student Health Center sent a mass e-mail to all students, faculty and staff informing them of the mumps outbreak, said Lisa James, associate director of the U of I Student Health Center.

“We do not want students to be worried – we want them to be informed,” James said.

People who are sick and have the symptoms should stay away from other people to prevent the virus from spreading, James said.

“If they have a fever or swollen glands, they should see a doctor,” Shulman said.

The U of I health center has seen cases from dorms and greek houses, where the virus spreads easily.

“We don’t want people walking around with mumps symptoms and not doing anything about it,” James said.

Northern Iowa has faced a similar situation with its 20 reported cases.

The majority of people with the mumps have had the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine, which has helped to make the virus mild, said Sue Courts, director of student health at Northern Iowa.

Students also do not think they are that sick, so they continue doing their normal activities, which is another reason the virus is spreading, Courts said.

The virus can be serious, but there have not been any serious cases at any of the state’s campuses, health officials said.

“Our big fear is someone getting exposed who can’t handle it, like cancer patients or the elderly,” Courts said.

The mumps spreads through droplets, such as sneezing, not washing hands and sharing food or drinks.

There is no specific medication to cure the mumps, just observation, Shulman said.

Mumps symptoms usually last between one and two weeks.