Cyclone Alley to expand across Hilton next year

Luke Plansky

In an effort to improve the atmosphere at basketball games and increase student involvement, the ISU athletic department has approved a proposal to expand Cyclone Alley.

Baselines and parquet seats on both ends of Hilton Coliseum will now be reserved for the student group. In the past, only the west side of the arena was designated for Cyclone Alley.

Student ticket-holders who aren’t members will now have to sit in the balcony.

“Expanding Cyclone Alley to both ends of Hilton Coliseum provides the sea of red [a chance] to continue to grow, creating an incredible image when seen in the arena or on television,” said Jamie Harpenau, co-chairwoman for Cyclone Alley.

Representatives from Cyclone Alley initially discussed the idea in March with the athletic department’s Student Advisory Committee.

It was unanimously endorsed by the group, forwarded to Athletic Director Jamie Pollard and eventually approved.

Christopher Deal, chairman of the Student Advisory Committee, said the expansion is in the best interest of everyone involved.

“Cyclone Alley has created a great atmosphere at Iowa State basketball games,” Deal said. “We think this program will increase the effectiveness of the home crowd. We want to bring Hilton Magic back, and this is a way to do it.”

Last season, there was an overflow of Cyclone Alley members outside of the designated area.

The decision was discussed in depth, Deal said, with the realization that there would be students unhappy with the decision.

“It is a situation similar to the general public, in that the fans who do more than buy tickets get the best seats,” he said.

“The department has recognized that the membership of Cyclone Alley makes a special commitment beyond purchasing tickets and, as such, they’re being rewarded with added seats in the lower bowl.”

Membership in Cyclone Alley costs $15 and includes the T-shirt required to sit in the section, as well as game-time contests, giveaways and select pre- and post-game socials with players and coaches.

Student tickets for the men’s basketball season will cost $95.

Women’s basketball season tickets are part of the $30 Olympic Pass, which is free with the purchase of both football and men’s basketball season tickets.