Associate dean Perry steps down from office

Tara Flockhart

A search for new leadership within the Dean of Students Office is set to begin early next month after the resignation of Associate Dean Leonard Perry.

Perry stepped down from the position, in addition to his role as director of Multicultural Student Affairs, earlier this month. He was unavailable for comment despite several attempts to reach him.

Thomas Hill, vice president for student affairs, said the reasoning behind the move was personal, but he had not heard a detailed explanation.

“There is no question that he will be missed,” Hill said. “He came with a great deal of expertise and had a big impact on campus.”

Annette Hacker, program director of university relations, agreed, saying although she was only able to work with Perry a few times, it was a privilege.

The search for Perry’s replacement will be addressed through an evaluation of the Dean of Students office set to take place within the next few weeks.

“The staff is pulling together and making sure things are taken care of,” Hill said.

In addition to working as associate dean and director of Multicultural Student Affairs, Perry worked with student support services, Multicultural Vision and Hixson programs, National Student Exchange and the Academic Success Center.

Formerly, Perry worked as associate dean of student life at Brown University, and associate dean of students at both Florida State University and Purdue University.