Wrestling team hopes freshmen will succeed

Luke Plansky

When Jake Varner spoke about the freshman class’ role in the future of the ISU wrestling team, he made a bold prediction.

“I don’t think we are going to build a team like Oklahoma State. I think we are going to be better that what they were,” said Varner, a 197-pound standout who redshirted this past season.

The Cowboys recently won their fourth straight national title.

“I think we’ll do better than what [Oklahoma State] did,” Varner said.

Varner is a member of the 2005 recruiting class, a group that was ranked as the best in the nation by Amateur Wrestling News.

Bobby Douglas said it was the best group of recruits he has ever had as a coach.

“Those guys will be the heart of our program for years to come,” he said.

Varner is one of six freshmen who is anticipated to start next year.

His accomplishments are impressive – a 159-10 record, 132 pins and two California state titles during high school. In his senior season, Varner pinned all six of his opponents to win the state title.

Cyler Sanderson, the youngest of the Sanderson brothers, will look to beat out returning starter Jason Knipp. He won four Utah state titles and was a first-team All-American, finishing high school with a 163-8 record.

Sanderson tore his anterior cruciate ligament early in this past season, but is expected to be at full strength and challenge for the 149-pound spot next season.

Nick Fanthorpe, a 125-pounder, beat the Cyclones 2005 starter, Ben Hanisch, in wrestle-offs last fall.

“No matter what everyone is saying on the outside, we have to stick to what we believe we can do,” said Fanthorpe, a two-time Illinois state champion.

Nick Gallick watched his brother, Nate, win the 141-pound national title weeks ago. Nick was a four-time Arizona state champion and is expected to fill the 133-pound spot of the ISU roster next year.

David Zabriskie won a state title wrestling at 215 pounds as a senior in New Jersey. Making the transition to heavyweight, he has added almost 15 pounds to his frame so far.

“I’m having fun coming into the [weight] room here every day,” Zabriskie said.

“It’s tough to come in and get your butt kicked some days – probably most days. But I’m enjoying myself.”

Mitch Mueller compiled a 177-7 record at Iowa City West. He is penciled in to fill the 141-pound spot next fall.

Fanthorpe said the team has used the year off wisely. One member of the class, Joe Curran, was called on to wrestle immediately at the varsity level.

“We have great guys in here right now,” Zabriskie said. “The only thing I see is that we are just going to get better.”