Anglers rebuild club, look to nationals

Robert Fetters

Fishing enthusiasts and students who want to learn about the sport now have an ISU group to which to turn.

Helping students learn to fish and promoting the activity are the goals of ISU Bass Anglers, said Phillip Monohon, club president and sophomore in animal ecology.

“A bass angler is someone who loves bass fishing and loves promoting it,” Monohon said.

Although it may appear the club is only around for people who like to fish, Monohon said it’s more about supporting the sport than just participating in it.

“We’re just trying to improve the sport, keep it here for the future generations,” he said. “Then our children can go out and have a good time on the lake. Cleaning up the lake or just improving the sport – it’s a good thing.”

The club was active at Iowa State before, but had to be revived in the fall of 2005 after the club became defunct during the 2003-04 school year after the former president graduated. The newly re-formed, 20-member group hasn’t made its first outing yet, but hopes to hit the water next month.

“Our next outing will be April 8, and it will be our first,” Monohon said. “If not then, it will be April 23. It all really depends on members getting the waivers filled out, getting the boats rented, which is the biggest problem.”

While on the fishing outings, the club doesn’t keep any of the fish that members catch. All fish are released after a weigh-in.

The club’s next competition will be an exhibition against the University of Iowa, and the first major competition will be the College Smash-Mouth Bass series. This event will pit 40 schools against one another in a competition to see which group can catch the most fish. Iowa State is ranked No. 29 out of the 40 teams. The tournament will be televised on ESPN.

“We’ll be sending our best two guys based off a tournament of our club members,” said Jeff Hartwig, club vice president and freshman in forestry. “We’re trying to work things out so we can have two tournaments to make sure we can send our best two anglers to the nationals.”

The members all have their own reasons for being a part of the group, but the things that really stand out are the competition, the love of the sport and challenge of the big catch.

To be a member of ISU Bass Anglers, an aspiring angler must follow a few unwritten rules. No unsportsmanlike conduct is allowed when members are out on the water, no cheating and no use of live bait. Members are also encouraged to have a good time.

“We’re just trying to support the sport in a positive fashion like professional fisherman Mike Iaconelli,” Monohon said. “He does some questionable things on the water, but he’s really good to his fans and that’s what’s important.”

The ISU Bass Anglers meet at 8 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month in room 2009 in Buchanan Hall. Club dues are $25 for the entire year. The dues help cover the costs of competitions and outings, but not personal angling equipment.

For more information on the College Smash-Mouth Bass competition, see www.collegebass.com.