Allen finalist for UNI presidency

Tom Barton

Seen as the coveted “go-to-guy” at Iowa State for nearly two decades, Provost Benjamin Allen is being considered as the person to fill the shoes of outgoing University of Northern Iowa President Robert Koob.

It took some convincing, though.

“I became interested in the position after I received calls from individuals at the University [of Northern Iowa] asking me to consider the position,” said Allen, who is also the vice president for academic affairs at Iowa State.

The Board of Regents announced the names of three finalists, including Allen, to replace Koob, who announced his retirement last fall after more than 10 years at Northern Iowa. If selected, Allen would become the ninth UNI president.

Allen was selected as a finalist following interviews last week with the board’s search committee.

“First, he’s a very, very smart guy. He’s got an impressive career. He’s always been the go-to guy at Iowa State,” said Board of Regents President Michael Gartner, who chairs the UNI search committee. “He’s never applied for anything, but when they were looking for the best-qualified person for the position, including the provost position, there was Ben [Allen].”

Allen, previously dean of the College of Business from 1995 to 2001 and vice president for external affairs from 2001 to 2002, did not apply for his current position as provost. He was serving as interim provost at the time and was asked to retain the job permanently.

“He has a great knowledge and experience with how to run a university with the work he’s done at Iowa State,” Gartner said.

As provost, Allen has been responsible to the university president for all aspects of ISU academic programs, working frequently with faculty to address issues on campus in regard to curriculum, faculty hires, university outreach, research and academic delivery. The deans of Iowa State’s eight colleges, as well as the vice provost for research and extension, report to him.

Allen is leading efforts to prepare the university for reaccreditation from the Higher Learning Commission, which has been on campus all week conducting its evaluation. He was also the chief driving force behind the university’s newly adopted 2005-10 strategic plan.

“He is clearly ready for a presidency position,” said ISU President Gregory Geoffroy. “Ben has been an absolutely outstanding provost at Iowa State and he has done a fantastic job on campus.”

If selected to replace Koob, Geoffroy said an interim provost would be selected from the Office of the Provost and a national search committee would be appointed to fill the position.

“It will be a big loss for me and Iowa State, but he will do a great job as president if chosen,” Geoffroy said.

The other two finalists named were John W. Folkins, vice president for academic affairs and provost at Bowling Green State University, and Stephen Lehmkuhle, senior vice president for academic affairs at the University of Missouri System. Each of the finalists will visit the UNI campus in April for a series of meetings and presentations with UNI faculty, staff and students. A complete schedule for each finalist’s campus visit is available at www.uni.edu/presidentialsearch.

Allen said he has “thoroughly enjoyed” his time at Iowa State and would stay on as provost if not chosen.

“The University of Northern Iowa has a strong focus on student-centered teaching and learning and a personalized philosophy of teaching, which I have been very impressed with. And I would be very honored and excited to work in that environment,” he said.

Gartner said the board hopes to appoint a new president by the first week of May. The next Board of Regents meeting is scheduled for May 3 and 4 at Northern Iowa.