PATH TO 2006: Running Backs

Grant Wall

Stevie Hicks has been a fixture in the ISU backfield for the past three seasons.

He took the starting job midway through his freshman season and – when healthy – has been the Cyclone starter ever since.

This season, however, a fresh crop of faces is pushing for Hicks’ starting position.

“It’s good competition right now,” ISU coach Dan McCarney said. “We’re going to find out who the No. 1 guy is.

“Nobody has been really exceptional in the first few practices. Stevie [Hicks] doesn’t have a lock on anything.”

Last season, Hicks was hobbled by injuries, limiting his playing time and production.

He saw action in nine of Iowa State’s 12 games, rushing for 545 yards and four touchdowns. The Cyclones were 6-2 in games in which Hicks started, and 1-3 in games in which someone else was in the backfield.

FASTTRAK

Stevie Hicks

Senior

No. 27

Hicks was the starter for the Cyclones opening game against Illinois State University, but he was hampered by injuries most of the season. Despite playing in just nine games all season – including just one play at Nebraska – Hicks was Iowa State’s leading rusher with 545 yards. Look for Hicks, known for his superb ball security, to start the year at No. 1 on the depth chart.

Jason Scales
Sophomore

No. 6

Scales missed all of last year after undergoing knee surgery, but the highly touted player out of Valley High School in West Des Moines will look to push Hicks for playing time if he can stay healthy. Scales saw limited action his freshman year and rushed for 92 yards.

Jason Harris
Sophomore

No. 35

Harris helped Greg Coleman fill in for the injured Hicks last season, amassing 40 yards on 11 carries. Harris showed the speed necessary to be successful, but his ball security was another story.Harris will have to work on absorbing hits and protecting the ball if he wants to compete for playing time.

Ryan Kock
Senior

No. 31

Kock was money-in-the-bank for the Cyclones inside the 5-yard line, scoring 13 touchdowns on 54 carries. Kock won’t see much – if any – action in the open field, but in short third- or fourth-down yardage situations and inside the red zone, Kock will be the man.

When Hicks was out of the lineup last season, McCarney turned to Greg Coleman as a replacement. Senior David Brown and freshman Jason Harris also saw time in the backfield.

Of those three, only Harris is back for the Cyclones this season. Brown graduated and Coleman quit the team after sliding down the depth chart.

Early in spring practice, Harris has emerged as a contender for playing time.

The fastest running back on the team, Harris gained 40 yards on 11 carries as a true freshman. Fumbles returned him to the sideline, but the running back has worked to correct the problem.

“He’s been much better, ball-security-wise,” McCarney said. “That’s the reason he got in the tank and we couldn’t keep putting him on the field, because he kept hurting our team so much with ball security.”

Harris fumbled against Missouri and Oklahoma State. The miscue against the Tigers was returned for a touchdown, putting Iowa State in an early 14-0 hole in that game.

Although holding on to the football is an issue, Harris has the skills to make an impact on the field.

“He’s the fastest back we have – it’s not even close,” McCarney said. “And he’s a physical back. The ball security is what I’m concerned with the most, and he’s getting better.”

Harris has put his struggles behind him and is full of confidence, ready to take his second chance.

“When your number gets called, you have to go out and play. That’s the bottom line,” Harris said. “Right now, I feel pretty confident. There are still things I need to work on, but I feel all right going into spring.”

Harris’ combination of speed and power make him a double threat who can pound the ball between the tackles or jump to the outside. An offseason workout regimen built around adding weight while staying quick has also paid off, he said.

“I think I bring a lot more speed,” Harris said. “Being a running back and looking at what we’ve got, I think I have a little more speed than the rest of them.

“And I’m getting stronger while keeping my speed up.”

Also in the mix for playing time is sophomore Jason Scales.

A West Des Moines native, Scales saw action two seasons ago as a true freshman, but sat out all of last year after knee surgery.

As a freshman, he saw limited action but was able to score a touchdown against Baylor. His return gives Iowa State three running backs with previous experience fighting for snaps.

Ryan Kock will start the season at fullback for Iowa State.

Kock was used mostly in short-yardage situations, gaining 129 yards last season on 54 carries. He also rushed for 13 touchdowns, leading the team by a large margin.

With the season more then five months away, all the Cyclone running backs know the competition is just getting started.

“We’re battling it out right now and going head-to-head,” Harris said. “May the best man win.”