Conference discussions to include every race

Nick Paulson

This year’s Iowa State Conference on Race and Ethnicity will incorporate all races in its focus. The conference will run from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday in the Memorial Union.

Conferences in the past have only focused on one race or ethnicity, but this year the conference will develop awareness of all racial issues. Speakers from across the country have been drawn to the conference to help emphasize this idea.

Some of the issues that will be discussed during the conference are “Bridging the Gap between Africans and African-Americans on Campus,” “Mosaics of Expression: Diversity of the Arts in Higher Education,” and “Race and Ethnicity in Queer Studies.”

FASTTRAK

Schedule of Events

8 a.m. to noon: Registration

8 a.m. to 9 a.m.: Continental breakfast

9 a.m. to 9:50 a.m.: Welcome and opening program

10 a.m. to 10:50 a.m.: Concurrent sessions

– “A Report from the Campus Implementation Committee”

– “Bridging the Gap between Africans and African-Americans On Campus”

– “The Essence of Special Education for Black Males”

– “The Establishment of the Multicultural Greek Council at Iowa State”

– “Identify This . A Reader’s Theater of Women’s Voices”

– “The Iowa State Center for American Intercultural Studies”

– “Talking Conservatively about Diversity”

11 a.m. to 11:50 a.m.: Concurrent sessions

– “An Examination of Privilege through the ‘South Park’ Lens”

– “Asian-American Representation: Over, Under and In-between”

– “Do You Know Your Fellow Latino/a?”

– “European-American Griots: Do They Have the Right?”

– “Mosaics of Expression: Diversity of the Arts in Higher Education”

– “Recruiting and Retaining a Diverse and Excellent Faculty”

– “The NCORE/ISCORE Alumni Group: A Continuation of Your Journey”

Noon to 2 p.m.: Luncheon and keynote address from Frank H. Wu, dean, Wayne State University Law School

2:10 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Concurrent sessions

– “Being Multiracial and All That It Entails: A Look at the Past, Present and Future”

– “CRASH into Reality: An Intersection of Race, Adaptation and Achievement”

– “Discrimination within the Latino Community”

– “Fresh off the Boat?!”

– “Native Americans: Past and Present Political Leaders”

– “Overcoming Privilege”

– “Unraveling the Indian Identity”

3:10 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Concurrent sessions

– “The Ethnically Homeless”

– “The Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program: One Star in the TRIO Crown”

– “Race and Ethnicity in Queer Studies”

– “YOU’RE HIRED! Preparing for a Career in the Multicultural Workplace”

– “The Role of College Diversity Committees at Iowa State”

4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Closing reception

This year’s keynote speaker will be Frank H. Wu, dean and professor at Wayne State University Law School in Detroit. Wu has written books about race in America and said he believes it is imperative the United States addresses this issue.

“Our nation will undergo a transformation within our lifetime,” Wu said.

Wu said soon there will no longer be a racial majority and the United States needs to set an example for the world, putting forth a united front where faith and race have no bearing and everyone is equal.

Wu said he was drawn to the ISU conference because of its great national reputation and the uniqueness it offers.

ISCORE is considered by many to be the second-best conference in the country promoting these ideas. The top conference is the National Conference on Race and Ethnicity, which ISCORE is modeled after.

Japannah Kellogg, director of the Student Support Services Program in the Dean of Students Office, said the two conferences are closely linked, with ISU students attending NCORE after their experience at the conference in Ames. Upon returning to Iowa State, the students take a class and do research on another ethnicity.

At ISCORE, students will be asked to speak about their experiences at NCORE, as well as issues with race they have experienced or witnessed themselves.

Derick Tallman, senior in management information systems, has been to both conferences and urged others to attend.

“[NCORE] was a really diverse gathering of intelligent people from around the country,” he said.

Tallman said the national conference was not only fun and interesting, but expanded his knowledge of race issues. He said he was apprehensive at first, but found he fit in easily when he got there. He also enjoyed his experience at the ISU conference.

“Odds are there is something for everyone at ISCORE,” Tallman said.

Kellogg said ISCORE works to move beyond racial boundaries by providing a wide spectrum of ideas that come from many different backgrounds. All races and ethnicities are represented, from Asian American and Latino to African-American and Caucasian.

“The hope is as you learn more about someone else, you learn more about yourself,” Kellogg said.

Kellogg said with such a wide variety of topics being discussed, students of all ethnicities are encouraged to attend and add to the discussion.

The national conference is in Chicago this year, and because it is close to Iowa State, Kellogg said he urges each college to send a representative, which will help bring the college together and stimulate growth for ISCORE.

“It’s part of the institution,” Kellogg said.

Some topics that have been covered in the past include the retention of American Indians in higher education, perceptions and connections of Asian adoptees, minority athlete experiences at a predominantly white institution and white privilege.

There are still spots available for this year’s national conference, which runs from May 30 to June 3, and Kellogg said he encourages any who are interested to stop by the Student Support Services Program in room 2010 of the Student Services Building and pick up an application.

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy will open the program and Brenda Jones, associate professor of art and design, will give the opening address.

Jones has done all the artwork for ISCORE in the past, and this year’s art follows the theme of celebrating all ethnicities.