ISU professor earns award for research in materials

Nick Paulson

Ruslan Prozorov said it best himself: “It’s not all about the money.”

Although the $45,000 Prozorov, assistant professor of physics and astronomy, will receive for the Sloan Fellowship Research award will be nice, the effects of winning such a nationally recognized award go far beyond the money, he said.

With only 23 awards given in the field of physics, having such an impressive award on a resume goes a long way toward building up credibility and attaches a note of prestige to someone’s name.

“It might allow them to grant him the next proposal he makes,” said Bruce Harmon, distinguished professor of physics and astronomy.

Prozorov studied physical chemistry in his home country of Russia before coming to the United States in 1998. He taught at the University of South Carolina until coming to Iowa State last summer because of the opportunities the faculty and equipment here offered.

“This place is just more in line with my research,” Prozorov said.

His outstanding research in novel superconducting and magnetic materials is what eventually led to him become one of hundreds who applied for the award.

By using unique techniques that he created, Prozorov is able to take a different approach to an issue many are studying.

“I can obtain information that is otherwise impossible to get,” Prozorov said.

Because so little is known about why materials behave the way they do when electric or magnetic currents are run through them, a solid web of communication is essential for success. The large faculty at the Ames Laboratory allowed him to set up his own network and create his own experiments.

These techniques have set him apart from his colleagues and brought him to the forefront of his field.

“He is one of the top young, bright people in the field,” said Richard Webb, distinguished professor of physics and astronomy at the University of South Carolina.

“It is a very hard award to receive; only the best get it.”

Webb worked with Prozorov when they were both at South Carolina, and said the chance to work with Prozorov was one of the reasons he came to South Carolina.

According to the Sloan Foundation Web site, the fellowships were created to provide support and recognition to early-career scientists.

The award can act as a springboard to bigger and better things, and Prozorov said he hopes he can use it as such.

Although he isn’t sure where he will put the money to use, Prozorov said the award is great recognition and will help him develop his research.

“It’s good to know that others think I’m doing cool things,” he said.

Prozorov got a late start in his research because as a requirement at his university in Russia, he had to serve two years in the army in addition to his six years of studies.

Since arriving at Iowa State, Prozorov has established a low-temperature facility that allows him to perform his unique experiments.

“It is very important to have good scientific samples when studying new materials, and there are a lot here at the Ames lab,” Prozorov said.

Others at the lab take the award as validation for the success and reputation it carries throughout the country.

“It shows that the research here is high enough quality to attract someone like [Prozorov],” Harmon said.

Although Prozorov and his colleagues are excited about the prestige and recognition the award brings, it’s not all fun and games.

“The award just raises the expectations that he will continue to do better in the future,” Harmon said.