‘He was never a troublemaker’ Berryman’s dismissal hits home

Luke Plansky

As his high school coach, Kirby Jones had an opportunity to understand Jason Berryman in a way Dan McCarney never could.

Now that his former player may be facing legal charges and no longer has the privilege to wear a Cyclone uniform, Jones described a younger Berryman, the one he learned to appreciate at Kashmere High School in Houston.

As a prep, Berryman specialized as a tight end and a punter.

“When he first came to high school as a freshman, he was noticeably exceeding what most freshman would [be able] to do on the football field,” Jones said.

But it isn’t Berryman’s talent that is usually questioned. After spending 258 days in jail in 2004, and facing fifth-degree criminal mischief charges that summer, it was the off-the-field issues that have surrounded him.

McCarney dismissed Berryman from the football team Tuesday, citing not only his recent run-in with the law, but the maintenance of the program’s character.

“He was never a troublemaker around school,” Jones said. “When he was in high school, he was one of the better kids, as far as character and all of that.”

When questioned as to how he viewed Berryman as both an athlete and student in high school, Jones said the two were separate and distinct, but the word “respectful” could apply to both.

“In the times when he was in high school, I had an opportunity to work with him. He was respectful, you know, he did what we asked him to do and things of that nature,” Jones said. “So I’d think that he had the passion for the game. He respected his teammates as well.”

The former coach and athletic director said he was startled by recent events.

“I heard several different stories relating to what happened, but it caught me by surprise,” Jones said.

“I had no idea what he got in trouble [for].”

Now that Berryman’s future is cloudy, the coach was hoping for Berryman the student – not the athlete – to be reaccepted by Iowa State. He said he also wanted him to suit up in Cyclone uniform again.

“I’d like to see him finish up what he started – finish up his career on the team. I’d really like to see him finish and get his degree,” Jones said.

He also saw an NFL uniform in Berryman’s future.

“I’d like to see him chosen in the draft and get to the next level .” Jones said. “One of the things we always said is that he is going to be a pro, based on what he was doing while he was in high school.”

Jones said Berryman could have been misunderstood, citing that, when he knew Berryman, he displayed the signs of good character. Arrests and citations, however, have made a different impression on the ISU community.

“He was just . a clean-cut young man – respecting, caring. It was a shocker . when he was accused of what he was accused of,” Jones said.