Wrestlers ready to compete against No. 9 Nittany Lions

Luke Plansky

Kurt Backes last faced Penn State’s Eric Bradley as a sophomore in high school.

He lost, but the redshirt junior gets some sort of a rematch on Sunday. The eighth-ranked ISU wrestling team faces ninth-ranked Penn State for the first time in eight years, competing in the Ames High Gym at 12 p.m.

The Nittany Lions (9-3, 1-3 Big 10) have nine ranked wrestlers, but none may be tougher than Bradley. The top-ranked 184-pounder is using his sixth year of eligibility after taking advantage of an extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA.

He is returning to wrestling after fracturing vertebrae in his back. Bradley was also a boxer.

“I think that I’m ready to go. I just want to show what I’ve got,” Backes said.

But Bradley vs. Backes won’t present the only highlights of the afternoon.

The resurgent Nittany Lions look to pose a firm test in one of the Cyclones final duals, and a possible career milestone may be in store.

Big crowds and close calls have defined the Nittany Lions’ season. And, after splitting with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, the Cyclones (10-5, 1-1 Big 12) are again gearing for another close dual.

Coach Bobby Douglas said he was pleased with what he saw out of his team, and is expecting another dogfight.

“This is a good Penn State team,” Douglas said. “They have been going through a rebuilding cycle for the past few years . but they are ranked in more weight classes than we are.”

The Nittany Lions feature three freshmen in their lineup and two sophomores.

“They are another D-I, Big 10 wrestling team,” Backes said. “They are going to come with their best, that’s what you expect. They are tough up and down their lineup.”

Senior Nate Gallick (25-0) – now ranked first – has an opportunity to pick up his 100th career victory as a Cyclone when he faces No. 10 DeWitt Driscoll. Only 28 ISU wrestlers have accomplished that feat before him.

After Sunday, only two duals remain on the schedule for Iowa State.

Assistant coach Cael Sanderson said he likes the way the team has been competing this season.

“I think we are making great progress. We wrestled real well last weekend,” Sanderson said. “We lost some close matches we think we can win later in the season.”

Douglas agreed.

“We are making progress, but we are still slowed by injuries,” Douglas said. “It was a good road trip, even though we lost to OSU.”

Iowa State holds a 14-9-1 all-time record against the Nittany Lions.