Activities, lectures planned to honor black community

Julie Young

February is Black History Month, and although it’s half over, there are still opportunities to celebrate the culture, accomplishments and contributions of the black community.

The National Society of Black Engineers will offer an opportunity for engineers to discuss engineering with children at the Boys and Girls Club, 210 S. Fifth St.

Nuku Doamekpor, sophomore in aerospace engineering and society member, said the event “will help expose Iowa State to the fact NSBE does exist on campus.”

“It’s not all about African-American engineers, but engineering in general,” Doamekpor said. “Black History Month is important to honor African Americans that have come and will come to better ourselves and the country. America is a diverse place, and together we can make ourselves one people.”

He said people can get involved by showing up to the various activities on campus.

“People can help to celebrate on campus by simply participating in events,” Doamekpor said. “Allow yourself to know about people and places and take it as a learning experience.”

On March 3, the Iowa State University Conference on Race and Ethnicity will offer a fun experience for ISU students in the Memorial Union.

“I think this conference is absolutely fantastic,” said Thomas Hill, vice president for student affairs.

“It has a good program, great speakers and leadership development in a wide variety of areas. I would encourage all students to participate in as much as they possibly can.”

The conference includes guest speakers, such as Jeffrey Johnson from the television show “Rap City” on BET network. There will also be career workshops, a hip-hop party and a career fair. Registration for the conference will continue through 5 p.m. Friday.

Hill said Black History Month should be important to everyone.

“You still have people who need to know, and not just African Americans. It’s a part of history,” Hill said.

Black History Month originated with historian Carter G. Woodson, who declared the second week of February as Negro History Week in 1926. The week later expanded to include the entire month of February during the American bicentennial celebration in 1976, according to www.about.com.

February is fitting for Black History Month, as many milestones for the black community occurred during the month. Frederick Douglass, Rosa Parks and Langston Hughes were all born in February, along with William Edward Burghardt DuBois, who founded the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People on Feb. 12, 1909.

Other events remaining at Iowa State during Black History Month include a forum titled “Race and Gender in the Classroom at ISU” on Feb. 22 and a lecture by Angela Davis, political activist and author, on “Leadership and Social Responsibility” on Feb. 25.