Businesses ready to see celebration continuing

Nick Paulson

Shattered windows, tear gas, broken streetlights, pepper spray and flaming Dumpsters.

These are the last images that Campustown had of Veishea. So how does the Ames community and, more importantly, Campustown, react to its return?

In a strong show of support, the city is rallying around Iowa State, and business owners believe the problems of recent years won’t surface in this year’s celebration.

“It won’t be an issue like in years past,” said Maureen Roushar, director of public relations for Kum & Go.

Veishea, an ISU tradition since 1922, will be back in April after being suspended in 2005 because of riots that took place at the 2004 celebration.

Campustown businesses are excited for the return and are hoping students act responsibly.

“I hope kids realize it’s their last chance and don’t screw it up,” said Rich Parizek, manager of the Keg Shop, 218 Welch Ave.

Businesses are treating the return of Veishea much as they would any other weekend. The Keg Shop and the Campustown Kum & Go, 203 Welch Ave., will make sure their stock is full and have a few extra people to help with the rush, but they won’t have any extra security on hand. The convenience store management said it will also provide additional restrooms.

With the return of Veishea comes the return of the large profits the celebration brings in, something that businesses missed last year.

“Compared to its heyday, we had a tremendous loss that weekend,” Parizek said.

Cooperation from all parties involved is the key to a successful Veishea, and J. Wesley Draughn, an ISU alumnus, said he thinks the solution is simple.

Draughn was at the riots and said there was miscommunication between students and police that marred the event.

“As long as there is mutual respect between law enforcement, students and visitors, there is no reason everyone can’t have a fun and safe Veishea,” Draughn said.

Ames Police Cmdr. Randy Kessel said he wants students to know that the police are there to help and have been working with the Veishea committee to make it as safe as possible.

Kessel said he thinks students will make the right choices, and the department will keep patrols the same as every weekend.

“The emphasis will be on the party response team,” Kessel said.

The party response team, which was formed last spring, is a three-officer unit that responds to any complaints. There will also be foot patrols around the Campustown area.

Ryan Remley, senior in operations and supply chain management, expects his fellow students to act responsibly.

“Everyone should just go out to the festival, have as good of a time as they want, then just hit the gyro stand and go home,” Remley said.