Global Gala returns to showcase diversity at Iowa State

During the beginning of their performance, the Pakistan Student Association put of a fashion show of the different types of clothing that represent the different provinces during the Global Gala on March 23rd. This was followed by a short performance of “Sohni Mahiwal”.

Tana Gam-Ad

The Global Gala has showcased the diversity of students on campus for 14 years. This affair shines a spotlight on students of color and works to offer different cultural perspectives to campus residents. 

It will happen again this year in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union on Friday. Doors open at 6 p.m and the performance starts at 7 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public.

The Student Union Board’s Multicultural Awareness Co-Directors in charge of the event this year, Diego Bonilla, sophomore in event management, and Reed Blanchard, junior in world languages and cultures, are both taking the helm for the first time.

“Basically, we just have a bunch of different organizations on campus here that want to showcase their culture and heritage through their dance, music, fashion shows and other things like that,” Bonilla said. “It’s a really cool way for students to get their organization out there and have their culture represented. Also, we’ve got free food.”

In past years there have been themes that performances have been centered around. However, this year, it has been decided that there will be no central motifs to allow the participants as much freedom as possible in choosing their performances. 

“There was a theme last year, but we chose not to do so for this year,” Bonilla said. “What goes on stage really depends on the group that is performing but it’s mostly music, live music, dance and fashion, basically. That’s been the consistency of past years and that what’s planned for this year as well.”

Performers at the Global Gala are all part of different organizations on campus and the set list changes every year. Some of the groups set to perform on Friday are the Brazilian Student Organization, Pakistan Student Association and the Descarga Latin Dance Club to name a few.

Bonilla and Blanchard explained how the groups are chosen and how the event is put together to be ready for the public.

“We have a list of organizations and we pick out groups on campus that are related to heritage or culture,” Bonilla said. “We send them an email and say ‘hey, do you want to be a part of this? Would you like to showcase your culture through music or dance?’”

Blanchard said groups are contacted in late February to early March to allow ample time to prepare.

“For the shows, the groups rehearse on their own, but we have a full check rehearsal done together so they have the opportunity to practice on site with all of the equipment,” Blanchard said. “Each group has their own time slots that we have determined for them.”

Blanchard said he is eager to experience the Gala as an attendee after working on it for the past month.

“I’m excited to see all of [the groups] and what they have to bring to the stage,” Blanchard said.

They hope those who attend enjoy themselves while taking in aspects from cultures that are different from their own.

“I think it’s important to highlight any place, especially a college campus, with diversity and culture,” Blanchard said. “Some places either have difficulty or are lacking in showcasing that diversity. The Global Gala does a great job of showing what Iowa State has to offer and more importantly, giving those students [of color] that recognition and making them feel welcome on campus as well. Open mindedness and inclusivity are our angles.