Then & Now

Grant Wall

Welcome back, Adam.

The always raucous rivalry between Iowa State and Iowa will take another step up with the return of former Cyclone men’s basketball player Adam Haluska to the court he called home for one season.

The guard played for the Cyclones as a freshman in 2002-03, averaging 9.2 points per game for a team that reached the NIT.

But after the season, amid the turmoil and scandal surrounding the accusations that coach Larry Eustachy had partied with students at the University of Missouri, Haluska transferred to in-state rival Iowa.

Haluska was forced to sit out a season because of the transfer, missing a chance to play two seasons ago when Iowa came to Hilton Coliseum.

Now he’s back.

Cyclone senior guard John Neal is the only current ISU player who played with Haluska, and the two remain friends. The two still talk once every week or two.

“I don’t know if he’s to excited to come back,” Neal said. “I’m sure it’s going to be a tough place to play.”

Neal said he is curious to see the type of reception the former Cyclone receives.

“I’m actually kind of excited to see what crafty thing the students are going to come up with,” Neal said. “It should be interesting.”

Haluska is second on the Iowa team in scoring, averaging 13.2 points per game. He is also pulling down five rebounds a contest.

“As a player he’s matured a lot,” Neal said. “He was really good as a freshman, but he’s continued to get better.”

Haluska will be forced to shoulder a larger load against the Cyclones, as backcourt mate Jeff Horner will miss the game with an injury. The senior guard from Mason City injured his left knee against Northern Iowa on Tuesday night, partially tearing his posterior cruciate ligament. He will miss up to five weeks, The Associated Press reported Thursday.

“It makes me very sad,” ISU coach Wayne Morgan said. “Jeff Horner is an excellent player and I hate to see any student-athlete or player get hurt, because that could be one of our guys.”

Horner’s production is slightly down this season, averaging 12 points per game after posting 14 a contest last season. His real slip has been in three-point percentage, hitting just 29 percent of his shots from behind the three-point line.

Iowa enters the game with a 7-2 record and a No. 12 ranking. Their only two losses have come to No. 2 Texas and Northern Iowa. Iowa State is 5-2 this season and are coming off an 89-74 win at Drake.

“I’ve been watching this since I was a little kid and every year it gets better,” said ISU freshman and Ames native Ross Marsden. “It’s always a fun game, a competitive game, and I’m looking forward to it.”

The other Hawkeye the Cyclones must look out for is senior center Greg Brunner. The strong senior is a threat both inside and outside, leading Iowa in scoring and rebounding.

“Obviously, he’s going to be a guy they rely on heavily, I have no doubt about that,” Morgan said. “Not only can he go inside, now he’s coming outside and making threes. I’m sure he’s going to be a little bit of everywhere.”

Brunner will be more then a handful for Iowa State’s three new post players, playing for the first time against someone the size and skill of the Iowa big man.

“It’s going to be a tremendous learning tool for our three big guys, and hopefully they’ll improve.” Morgan said. “Obviously, playing against Brunner will definitely get them ready for the intensity and strength of some of the guys in the Big 12.”

Marsden, freshman Shawn Taggart and sophomore Jiri Hubalek have split time inside this season for the Cyclones.

“Brunner and [center Erek] Hansen – those guys are really good,” ISU guard Will Blalock said. “Our front court is just getting their feet wet.”

The status of ISU guard Tasheed Carr is still up in the air. Carr injured his shoulder in the Cyclones’ loss to Fresno State and did not play Monday at Drake.

“What we do is we treat him and treat him and treat him,” Morgan said. “Then we come to practice, he tries to see what he can do. Every time he’s come down, he’s gone a little bit and couldn’t do it. But it is feeling better.”