Younger team taking the court this season (W)

Pat Brown

Five freshmen, two sophomores, three juniors and two seniors.

Two seniors.

The women’s basketball team is back, hailing just two seniors, Kandice Beenken and Brittany Wilkins. The Cyclones lost arguably some of the best seniors in coach Bill Fennelly’s career at Iowa State last season, and the duo inherits a youthful team that will turn to them for leadership.

In practice, both seem to impress the Cyclone newcomers.

“The leadership and the confidence that they have, and knowing what Coach Fennelly expects [are big],” said freshman Heather Ezell. “Them coming out in practice and doing those things day in and day out makes a difference.”

Wilkins has a chance to play a huge role this season at Iowa State, if she becomes more consistent, Fennelly said.

“I want the light to go on, I want her to be something that this team needs,” he said.

“If you ask me to pick one person that we need [to play well], that’s the person that I’m going to pick.”

Last season Wilkins played in 24 games, shooting .613 from the field. Lifetime, she has a .350 three-point percentage, but did not attempt one shot from beyond the arc last season.

She averaged 4.2 points per game.

Her biggest performance came in an overtime win against UNLV, where she hit all four of her shots, totaling 10 points in 19 minutes.

Unfortunately, the team has not benefited from performances like that every time Wilkins steps on the court.

“Some level of consistency would be nice,” Fennelly said.

“The other day, in our individual workout, if she plays even close to that, we have a good program. Then there’s other days that she should have not even shown up.”

Fennelly also said the coaching staff has made numerous attempts to correct the inconsistencies, but have not yet completely solved it.

The Cyclones may have found a way to work her into a better system.

“She’s really good facing the basket, and maybe with [freshman Rachel Pierson] now we can take her away from the basket, and put her up to shoot 15-foot shots,” Fennelly said.

“We live in a world in athletics where you have to produce. As a fifth-year senior, she knows exactly what has to happen, and now it’s up to her to make it happen.”

Wilkins said she’s ready to help the team however it needs her.

“I’ve talked to [Coach] a lot, and just had a good time this summer as far as gaining confidence and getting ready to go,” she said.

“Leading by example, and just doing the little things, especially to the three younger players.”

Beenken, who walked on her freshman year, played in 10 games last season, averaging .5 points per game.

She said she’s ready to help the young athletes on the team to achieve bigger and better things.

“The experience and the knowledge that you’ve gained over the past three years, you can pass on to them,” Beenken said.

If the Cyclones get the leadership from Beenken and consistency from Wilkins, Fennelly said Iowa State may raise some eyebrows across the nation – again.

” If [Wilkins] has a good year … Just be someone who can do the things that need to be done, then we’re going to win more games than probably some people think we can,” Fennelly said. “If she doesn’t, then we’re going to struggle, and we’re going to throw some babies out there and let them learn on the fly.”