Let’s dance

Grant Wall

Expectations are running high inside Hilton Coliseum as the ISU men’s basketball team is readying itself for what it hopes will be a season capped off by a postseason encore.

The Cyclones made a trip to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2001, falling in the second round to eventual national champion North Carolina.

ISU coach Wayne Morgan introduced his team to the media Tuesday when the Cyclones held their annual media day on the court of Hilton.

“I don’t have expectations other than the expectations or goals that we might possibly set in the locker room,” Morgan said. “The only other expectation I usually have is to come out and play hard every day and play better every day.

“I think if we can do that, we’ll be pleased with the result.”

The Cyclones return three starters from last year’s team that went 19-12 overall and 9-7 in the Big 12.

This season, Iowa State is ranked No. 6 in the Big 12 in the coaches’ preseason poll. Nationally, they are ranked as high as No. 12 by Street & Smith’s.

“We’re just trying to get farther then we did last year,” said junior guard Curtis Stinson. “We’re here to win the Big 12 title, to do all that, and I think we have a good chance to do that.”

Juniors Stinson and Will Blalock are back to anchor the team and are joined by Rahshon Clark and Tasheed Carr, two players who saw extensive action last season as freshmen.

“I don’t really set personal goals,” Blalock said.

“I just want to win and advance farther then we did last year.”

Stinson led the team with 17.2 points per game last season, adding five rebounds and four assists per game. He also was first on the team in steals.

He was named to the preseason all-Big 12 first team and is on the preseason Wooden Award list.

Blalock was third on the team with 12.3 points per game and led the squad in assists.

The major hole the Cyclones will be forced to fill is in the middle.

Last season, seniors Jared Homan and Damion Staple provided two big men to play under the basket.

Because of their graduations, Iowa State will be looking for someone to fill their spots.

Homan finished his outstanding four-year career as Iowa State’s all-time leading shot blocker. He averaged 13.6 points per game and led the Cyclones in rebounding at 8.7 boards.

Iowa State has four newcomers who stand 6’10” or taller, giving the Cyclones several young players who will be forced to immediately contribute.

Freshman Shawn Taggart enters the season as the team’s most highly touted recruit, the No. 3 center in the nation, according to www.rivals.com.

Junior Jessen Gray, sophomore Jiri Hubakek and freshman Ross Marsden will also see playing time.

“Those guys are very skilled; they are very agile,” Morgan said. “I think their skill and athletic ability will create problems for other teams.”

The Cyclones take to the floor for the first time Nov. 5 for an exhibition against EA Sports. Iowa State’s first actual game of the year will be against Mountain State on Nov. 20.