I am more than a shy girl

Blair+Flammond_06.jpg

Gillian Holte/Iowa State Daily

Blair Flammond_06.jpg

Blair Flammond

I was born and raised in South Dakota. I grew up being the youngest of two children. I am a member of the Sisseton Wahpeton Oyate tribe even though I do not look like it. I did well in high school and competed in competitive cheerleading and gymnastics. When I was senior, I became the captain of the high school gymnastics team. I was very shy when I was in high school and still am. My shyness kept me from doing many things. I wanted to change when I came here to Iowa State. I am more outgoing and more willing to try new things now. Because of this, I have gotten more involved with student organizations on campus.

I am currently the treasurer of Phi Upsilon Omicron, a national honors society for the College of Human Sciences. I am also the president of United Native American Student Association. Along with these I am a member of the tea club, tumbling club and culinary science club.

I became involved with United Native American Student Association or UNASA when I was told about it from the director of the American Indian studies department. I joined as freshman in the spring of 2017. It was the first year it was back after not being a student organization for a while. I continued to be a member throughout my sophomore year.

In the spring of 2018 I was asked to become the president because I was the only member to show up to all the meetings. I accepted the request. My main goal was to improve UNASA. It is a small student organization with only about ten people. I wanted to make it bigger and better. In the past we did not do much. We got together once in a while and did a few activities and that was it. I want to get the organization more involved with the campus and community.

When I began my UNASA meetings I wanted to make sure everyone was accepted and was able to speak up. I encourage my members and officers to offer up ideas for activities and fundraising. I want everyone in the group to have a voice. When it comes to difficult obstacles I try to ask for help and learn from them to improve the future. I take obstacles head on and try not to avoid them.

After I graduate next spring, I hope to leave my legacy with UNASA. I hope it continues to thrive and be more than 10 members. I want Iowa State to have a bigger Native American population.

Inclusivity looks like being welcoming to all no matter what they look like or believe in. UNASA is inclusive to all. When I step down from my position, I hope that whoever takes my spot keeps improving the organization.

My advice for future leaders would be do what you believe is right and ask others for help.

Keep improving.

I am more than a shy girl.