Apathy concerns council

Erin Magnani

Student government officials said the recently proposed Student Affairs Commission isn’t affected by the apparent lack of student interest in city government.

Angela Groh, president of the Government of Student Body, said she doesn’t think students are apathetic toward city issues.

“I don’t think students are apathetic. They are just not as passionate about it as other things,” said Groh, senior in political science.

Tony Borich, ex-officio City Council member, said when students are aware their input is needed, they express it.

“Go back to the keg registration forum; that really demonstrates that when it is clear to students that their views are being considered they are very eager to get involved in the process,” said Borich, senior in community and regional planning.

The University of California-Davis has a commission similar to the Student Affairs Commission proposed by Groh and Borich. Steven Worker, UCD student liaison commission chairman, said the Davis City Council created its commission in December 1982.

He said the main benefit provided by the commission is the open lines of communication between issue stakeholders, but there is still a problem with disinterested students.

“There is still a large percentage of the student population that isn’t interested or doesn’t have easy access to city news, but I think the commission has definitely improved it,” he said.

Worker also said the commission has encountered problems in the form of neglect by the City Council.

“One of the obstacles is that the City Council isn’t interested in talking to students or isn’t interested in their issues,” he said. “Historically, students don’t vote, and people cater to the populations that vote.”

Students are still affected by a range of issues that come before city councils, however. Borich said the Student Affairs Commission didn’t evolve out of any specific issue or event, but will enhance the ex-officio position by representing more of the general student population.

“On a lot of issues, students don’t have one view, they have a diversity of views and when these issues come up those viewpoints will be able to be expressed,” he said.

Groh said the commission would provide more representation than the ex-officio student city council seat can provide.

“One person can only do so much and Borich is limited in how far he can reach out,” she said.

Ames City Council members expressed concern Tuesday that a commission composed of mostly students would represent only students’ viewpoints.

Councilman Matthew Goodman said he would be more supportive of the commission if it involved community members, and Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said it would hurt the commission’s credibility if it didn’t include residents’ opinions.

Worker said the UCD commission has five voting community members, six voting student representatives and eight nonvoting members from various city government, student government and high school positions.

Groh said the Student Affairs Commission would have both student and community representation and members would be chosen by the mayor and approved by City Council.

Groh said she would work closely with Tedesco during the selection process and they would target presidents of various student clubs and organizations throughout campus. At-large students would also be represented, but they would have to apply via a city committee application available at City Hall, 515 Clark Ave.