Dancers say job boosts confidence

Erin Magnani

At first glance, Dangerous Curves, 111 Fifth St., looks like any other bar in downtown Ames or Campustown – except for the bikini-clad girl dancing around a pole in the center of a stage.

A pool table, pinball machine and several televisions are scattered throughout the bar to provide patrons with other forms of entertainment. Most of the customers were middle-aged businessmen dressed in business casual, who spent more time watching television and talking to other customers than watching the dancers perform.

On any given night, approximately seven dancers are present to perform on stage, give private dances and mingle with customers, said Jeremy Boekelman, owner of Dangerous Curves. And despite many citizens’ opinions that women would feel degraded by this profession, the dancers say they feel more confident about themselves.

“I’ve gotten more confident about my physical appearance since working here,” said Jessi, a dancer and former ISU student. “I don’t feel degraded at all.”

Renee, a dancer and senior in performing arts, said that none of the customers make her feel demeaned.

“I definitely don’t feel degraded,” she said. “And the customers are happy for us because we’re using our money to pay tuition and do something with our lives.”

Boekelman said about 40 percent of the dancers are college students.

Besides stage performances, dancers also give private dances in a separate room, located off to the side of the main area. Private dances are $20 per song and songs usually last about five minutes, Renee said.

Most of the dancers said the main reason behind their job choice is the money. Renee said on average they make about $300 a night.

“I need to pay off debt and pay for school,” Renee said. “Most of the girls are working to pay for college or to save money.”

Jessi said she likes to work at Dangerous Curves because she makes “more there in one night than a whole week at a regular job.”

“I have bills to pay, especially since my parents decided to stop paying for school,” she said.

Boekelman works as a bartender and bouncer and hires the dancers. The dancers have to be at least 18 and personable, but don’t have to have any previous experience dancing, he said.

“We want to make sure it’s a good fit for both them and the customers and that they are courteous,” Boekelman said. “Looks aren’t everything here; you have to have the personality and talk to the customers to make money.”

Boekelman said he hopes to open the Campustown establishment, 122 Welch Ave., in about a month and have about 25 to 30 dancers to divide between the two locations.

“The bar on Welch will open as soon as we get the sprinkler system done, which should be about three to four weeks,” he said.

Renee has danced at Dangerous Curves since it opened in April and said the students she has talked to seem to support the idea of having a location in Campustown.

“A lot of college kids don’t really know about this location and are eager for the campus one to open,” she said. “There will always be people thinking things, but we’re wearing bikinis and it’s not less than anything you wear on a beach.”

Jessi said she’s seen girls with smaller bikinis on the beach and skimpier outfits in other bars around Campustown.

Boekelman said he hasn’t really heard any opposition to his business from the people he has talked to.

“I feel the City Council aren’t in touch with the majority of citizens and students,” he said.

At a previous council meeting, the issue of outside advertising or signs identifying the business was brought up by council members worried about visibility. The location on Fifth Street currently has a sign identifying the establishment, but it is mostly hidden by a tree. Boekelman said the sign for the Welch Avenue location should be discreet.

“You have Peep Land [520 S. Duff Ave.] and Pleasure Palace [117 Kellogg Ave.] that are much more visible and how many complaints are heard about them,” Boekelman said.