I am more than a gender statistic

Courtney+Beringer_04.jpg

Courtney Beringer_04.jpg

Courtney Beringer

I was born and raised in Dubuque, Iowa. I grew up with a mom, dad and two younger sisters. I have a very large family who I am well connected with because they are all in the Dubuque area. Much of my life was centered around school and sports. I have always held very high expectations for myself in everything I have done, and looking back I was probably over-involved but I appreciate all the connections and memories from my choices. I was captain of multiple sports, Student Body President of my high school and elected Homecoming Queen. I was very well connected with all types of students in my high school as I participated in math competitions, theater performances, sports, student government and activism. All of these experiences have caused my life to be very service-oriented and helped me develop a passion for engineering and sustainability.

In a very career-driven sense I want to develop new technology and perform research related to renewable energy and engineering. In a more worldly sense I want to make a positive impact on the environment and continuously be engaged in social justice to make a positive impact on humans.

[Currently] I am a senator on Iowa State University’s Student Government because I believe I have a unique set of skills, thoughts and experiences that contribute greatly to the organization. I have continuously tried to make change at Iowa State related to the environment and social justice and my former positions did not hold enough power in the eyes of campus staff and administrators. It is unfortunate but it took being elected to Student Government for many entities to start listening to what I had to share. I am passionate about serving people and changing the culture of organizations — both of which have been a big part of what I do in Student Government.

I lead with integrity and put the people first. It is what we say and do when no one is watching that shows the level of commitment and leadership. Being constantly engaged with students as a senator is so important. Whenever I can, I am messaging students, asking their opinions on bills, meeting with their clubs and making it known that I am ready to listen.

The people drive me to overcome obstacles. When hard discussions come up and tough decisions are presented, I think about the people I represent. They want me to be well informed and lobby on their behalf rather than sit back in my seat and say nothing. When I hit roadblocks with Iowa State staff and administration, I have to keep pushing because there are students who need more resources and more support that isn’t being given yet.

I really don’t want a legacy. In my role as an engineering senator, I want students to be better supported and someone needs to do the work. I can and will do the work.

Inclusivity is a societal change, but as we discuss in my women and gender studies class, we are all a part of society and have input in the system whether we want it or not. To me, inclusivity looks like people being actively engaged in understanding their influence on society and learning how it affects other people so that they can make decisions with their words and actions everyday to make our spaces inclusive.

It is important to recognize and remember who you are serving and why.

I am more than a gender statistic.